Fermenting Buckets - How Long Do You Keep'em?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Fermenting Buckets - How Long Do You Keep'em?

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:I have an Ale Pail that is several years old. I buy wheat from Costco in buckets that are a perfect size for fermenters. So I use those as well. I had a bucket develop mold, so I threw it out.

If a bucket doesn't have any problems, I don't worry about it.

@ScrewyBrewer, you ferment in ale pails with spigots? My LHBS told me that was a bad idea. If you've been doing it successfully, I've got another bucket I can use.
@bpgreen, Yes I was told the same thing by my friends at the LHBS, and to replace all of the tubing and racking canes too. I've gotten to know those folks pretty well over the years, but I'm not one to spend a dollar unless I have to. As it turned out over time my experience actually taught me a great lesson, always trust but verify. And in this case it's really paid off.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I swapped out my plastic ale pails when I started seeing stains in them. I know use either glass or plastic carboys.

I do a lot of 2.5 or 3G batches in my 5G carboy like Whamolagan mentinoed and don't have to worry about headspace. I have 1 LBK left that I use as a bottling bucket on the rare occasions that I actually bottle and don't keg.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

How is ale pale with spigot any different then LBK or LBC with spigot or Speidel fermenter with spigot or even stainless steel conical with spigot? You have to keep spigot clean in any case, but as long as you clean and sanitize the spigot, it should be ok.

If you ignore the spigot, then yeah you will start to get weird stuff happening. But that's true in any fermenter with a spigot (or bottling bucket with spigot too, you just will get foamers).

?

FWIW, I've had my pair of LBCs for more then a year now - still going strong. Never put anything in them, so they have not gotten scratched up, unlike my old LBKs. I have replaced the spigot on both of them once.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The reason an ale pail with a spigot is different from an LBK with a spigot is that there's a lot more pressure on it. For one thing, there's more weight because of the larger volume and the shape of the fermenter. For another, it's a sealed system.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Can't have more pressure then this 31 gallon bad boy (also sealed system), and it's hardly any different then a bucket? So, why does it matter? I could see it mattering if spigot/seal is a cheap piece of crap, but not otherwise?

http://www.morebeer.com/products/speide ... 7-gal.html
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I think mostly from LHBS standpoint is err on the side of less chances of infected flow? Thinking about it yes, same as any fermenter that has a spigot, from basic kits to the high priced stainless deals, a spigot in the side of a vessel is still a spigot in the side of a vessel. It wasn't so much about it leaking from my LHBS than it was a possibility of getting an infection, but like I mentioned my spigot was under water till done fermenting.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
bpgreen wrote:I have an Ale Pail that is several years old. I buy wheat from Costco in buckets that are a perfect size for fermenters. So I use those as well. I had a bucket develop mold, so I threw it out.

If a bucket doesn't have any problems, I don't worry about it.

@ScrewyBrewer, you ferment in ale pails with spigots? My LHBS told me that was a bad idea. If you've been doing it successfully, I've got another bucket I can use.
@bpgreen, Yes I was told the same thing by my friends at the LHBS, and to replace all of the tubing and racking canes too. I've gotten to know those folks pretty well over the years, but I'm not one to spend a dollar unless I have to. As it turned out over time my experience actually taught me a great lesson, always trust but verify. And in this case it's really paid off.
Agree with this reasoning. Similarly, I don't change my oil and do all the "recommended" maintenance from my car dealer when THEY say to do it, I do it when the manufacturer recommends to do it. :wink:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm glad to hear the ale pail bottling buckets can be used as fermenters. It means I've got another fermenter.
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

FWIW, I've used the same 2 food grade buckets from Lowes for like 5 years myself. keep cleaning them using a soft cloth, so no scratches yet. the are stained to hell at the krausen line, and one smells like the best IPA ever no matter how much PBW I use (so SOMETHING is embedded in there)...but I am not trying to fix what isn't broken yet. I know there will be infinite sadness when a batch inevitably goes south, but fingers crossed until then.

my cheap @$$ really wants those SS brew bucket things, but I can't bring myself to plop down 2 bills on a SS bucket, let alone 4 for 2!
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I've only fermented 2 batches in my ale pail/bottling bucket but with no problems. I use to use LBK's then glass and plastic carboys, now I have a SS fermenter but haven't used it yet. But the Ale Pail is over 5 years old now and I just use it for a bottling bucket. It has a few stains but no scratches, I store Star san in it when not using it and bleach bomb every once in a while. I have decided I'm going to replace it as I have almost all new equipment now and they are kinda cheap in price.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Post by 1919 »

Reckon I'll replace them when I scrub holes in them. The beer doesn't mind the stains, some of which are from using iodine, but not the kind used to make meth. That was the actual sign that was actually posted on the shelf with the BEST brand iodine at the hardware store I started buying homebrew supplies from. I use Starsan now.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I still have my first one, which is at least six years old. I have several newer ones which I use, in part because they fit better in my ferm fridge.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I kind of chuckled when I saw I started this thread 4+ years ago.

Here's a PATHETIC / FRUSTRATING update.

I have two of those 5 gal pails just sitting in a corner in my basement collecting dust. I have not made beer since the summer of 2018. All of my other brewing equipment is sealed up in some large plastic containers in my garage. They have not moved off the shelf since we packed up and moved in Sept 2018.

I got in on that BEERMKR kickstarter in the fall of 2018 expecting delivery in the spring of 2019. Spring 19 turned into Summer 19, Fall 19, Dec 19 ..... you get my point. They are now targeting Mar 2020. We'll see.

Brew on ladies and gents. I still poke my head here a few times a week and enjoy the posts and adventures of the rest of you.

Maybe, I'll be able to give y'all a BEERMKR update in a couple months ....... MAYBE ...... :clink:
Thirsting For Knowledge
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

brewnewb wrote:I kind of chuckled when I saw I started this thread 4+ years ago.

I got in on that BEERMKR kickstarter in the fall of 2018 expecting delivery in the spring of 2019. Spring 19 turned into Summer 19, Fall 19, Dec 19 ..... you get my point. They are now targeting Mar 2020.
That sucks. I've been in a few kickstarters that all turned out pretty good. But to be off that much deserves a discount or reward. Never hurts to ask for something out of it if you can.
I am interested in learning about it though it's not something I personally want. It's cool that we have so many options at our disposal.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That sucks. I know that BEERMKR's no-boil pasteurization only method works because I've done that like 5 times now in my Mash & Boil and made great beer doing so (and some Nordic farmhouse brewers basically do this too).

The only problem is what styles I can make without easy/cheap access to steam hops for bittering. I could possibly work around that using hop resin, but that stuff is nasty. Basically I can make anything where I want a lot of hop flavor/aroma, but if not, then it gets a lot trickier. You can get the things, but they are expensive and only available in small quantities. I could boil hops or some types of the hop resin in water for 60 minutes and then add that for bittering without flavor/aroma, but that sort of defeats the purpose, in my own use case for doing this I may as well just boil the wort at that point (although this is what one of those Nordic brewers might do to add more bitterness without flavor).

Is that what's holding it up (steam hop availability)?