Revising recipes

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Revising recipes

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm heading out to the LHBS today, and as I looked at the recipes I'll be making, and getting my shopping list together, it occurred to me that I could and should revise some of my recipes.

The King Pin IPA is a pretty solid beer, but I've been wanting to brew an IPA with a stronger hop-forward presence and aroma. I think I formulated this recipe before I really gained an appreciation of hops; I'm much more comfortable with more strongly hopped beers now.

So I opened up BrewToad and started working with the recipe. Slight modification of the grain bill (a little less 2-row and a little more rye malt), and some major changes to the hops. One of the things I like about the King Pin is the continuous hopping I do. I make additions every five minutes for the first 30 minutes. This gives a strong hop bitterness, but sort of tempers it a little, so it doesn't completely sock you in the face. But I opted for a little more aggression and doubled the 60-minute addition. I also doubled the aroma addition and added extra to the dry hop. BrewToad says the IBU is at the highest threshold for the style, which is what I was aiming for.

I'm brewing this the Sunday after Christmas, and I'll be very interested in what comes out of the tap in another five or six weeks.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Revising recipes

Post by Brewbirds »

Is your doorbell ringing? I saw Beer-Lord and Redbeard heading in your direction. :p
Sibling Brewers
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Nice
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Brewbirds wrote:Is your doorbell ringing? I saw Beer-Lord and Redbeard heading in your direction. :p
If they start driving up north around mid-January, they can get some of the first pulls from the keg!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer