Guiness Nitro IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Guiness Nitro IPA

Post by jpsherman »

I really wanted know how a company that specializes in stout would create an IPA, so I got a sixer of cans ($8.49). This is a 12 oz can with a doodad inside that releases nitrogen gas when you pop the tab. So you actually get 11.2 oz beer.

I knew I was in for disappointment when I got it home and noticed it had only 44 IBU for 5.8% ABV. And I was right, it is very malty in flavor. They even boast of using roasted barley on the six pack holder. The roasty/malty flavor does not say IPA at all.

I slowly realized that the hop profile (that they boast has natural cirtrus flavors), is awful similiar to a Rolling Rock. I just so happened to have a tallboy Rock in my fridge ($6.29 for 6 x 16oz in my neck of the woods) and my suspicions were confirmed. I then had another Nitro IPA, double confirmed.

If you want an extra malty Rolling Rock with a little added roastiness and a super creamy texture, then this is for you.

If you want an IPA, you are gonna be pretty damn disappointed.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Guiness Nitro IPA

Post by mashani »

I had that a while back. It was easy to drink with too much alcohol to be that easy to drink. And yes, it wasn't an IPA. I didn't dislike the stuff, nor did I love the stuff... it was ok. But for sure it wasn't an IPA. It was some kind of mystery beer that fits no style. Like homebrew that isn't quite what you wanted but you drink it anyways because it's ok to drink.

I think the hops they used in it would work better in a Belgian IPA with a simple grain bill and a lot of sugar so it attenuates pretty dry. And more of the Styrian Goldings to finish it.

I think Rolling Rock actually uses German hops.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Was it possibly more of a black English IPA rather than an American IPA? I can imagine a big difference there. Never actually had the beer though. Not a big fan of black IPAs in general.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I was excited to try it, but I didn’t like it. I think I still have a couple cans sitting in the basement. I’ll use them in cooking, but I’m not going to drink them. Ptooey!

I thought the Blonde was OK, for a lawnmower beer.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I didn't care for it either. It had a funny taste for me that I couldn't put my finger on.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I saw this a few months ago and immediately did a Google search while standing in the store. The reviews were horrible so I passed and from what I can tell I am glad that I did.
One of the rare times that technology actually came in handy.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@Pudge, it's not black, the roasted barley wasn't any more in %age then you'd find in maybe an Irish Red. It by no means would be something I'd call a "Black British IPA".

If you review it as an IPA it's pretty horrible. That's why all the reviews are so horrible.

If I was just reviewing it as some unknown kind of mystery beer (LA LA LA I don't know it's supposed to be an IPA), then I wouldn't call the beer horrible, but I like all sorts of beer of all sorts of styles. I wouldn't call it really good either. I wouldn't buy it again, if that helps. But I could drink it and didn't hate doing so (I had no desire to pour it down the drain instead of drinking it). To me was easy enough to drink. Just not something that would call out to me *to* drink if I saw it sitting on a shelf. I don't know if that makes any sense. It seemed like one of those out of style frankenbrew experiments you make as a home brewer that's good enough to drink, but you'd not make again.

The funny taste perceived could be the roasted barley which is weird in an IPA, or it could be the hops they used - it is an unusual mix of British, Slovenian and 'Merican. I thought the hops would make a better Belgian IPA like I said.

The nitro and ipa do not mix though. What hops they had in there might have seemed more "session ipa" strength had it been carbed normally. The nitro just mellowed what was already too mellow into something kind of 'meh'.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote: The nitro and ipa do not mix though.
Which is really too bad because I've had a few IPAs on nitro that were really good. The mouthfeel and creaminess really changes them and makes them interesting. I think this is the year we see everything on nitro.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:
mashani wrote: The nitro and ipa do not mix though.
Which is really too bad because I've had a few IPAs on nitro that were really good. The mouthfeel and creaminess really changes them and makes them interesting. I think this is the year we see everything on nitro.
Probably if it had firm bitterness it would mix better. But this particular beer does not. It could have used "Belgian Carb" levels to give it some CO2 bite to enhance the bitterness, instead of the nitro smoothness that just pretty much flattened what little was there. Maybe if it was a 1.04something beer it would have been enough.
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

mashani wrote:@Pudge, it's not black, the roasted barley wasn't any more in %age then you'd find in maybe an Irish Red. It by no means would be something I'd call a "Black British IPA".

If you review it as an IPA it's pretty horrible. That's why all the reviews are so horrible.

If I was just reviewing it as some unknown kind of mystery beer (LA LA LA I don't know it's supposed to be an IPA), then I wouldn't call the beer horrible, but I like all sorts of beer of all sorts of styles. I wouldn't call it really good either. I wouldn't buy it again, if that helps. But I could drink it and didn't hate doing so (I had no desire to pour it down the drain instead of drinking it). To me was easy enough to drink. Just not something that would call out to me *to* drink if I saw it sitting on a shelf. I don't know if that makes any sense. It seemed like one of those out of style frankenbrew experiments you make as a home brewer that's good enough to drink, but you'd not make again.

The funny taste perceived could be the roasted barley which is weird in an IPA, or it could be the hops they used - it is an unusual mix of British, Slovenian and 'Merican. I thought the hops would make a better Belgian IPA like I said.

The nitro and ipa do not mix though. What hops they had in there might have seemed more "session ipa" strength had it been carbed normally. The nitro just mellowed what was already too mellow into something kind of 'meh'.
Yeah, it wasn't a good IPA, but I still drank it all! Thing is I don't really know what category it belongs in.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

One of the worse beers Ive ever tried to drink
Had a 6 pack that lasted 3 weeks
Couldn't get anybody to drink it
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Clearly, they need some marketing help for this pig... Some lipstick as it were...

A slogan perhaps like: "The IPA to Drink when you Couldn't Care Less about the IPA!"

:cool:
Wbrewmaster

Post by Wbrewmaster »

I always get disappointed trying Guinness beers. Similar case with Guinness Blonde....sad ending :( So Ixnay on the IPA then !