Founders Azacca IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Founders Azacca IPA

Post by Kealia »

has anybody tried this? I don't think I've tried anything with Azacca yet but based on the other beers I've tried from Founders I'd be interested in trying this if I can get a review or two from folks I know.

Here's how Azacca is described but it's a bit all over the place and at the same time similar to other hops:
mango; papaya; orange; grapefruit; lemon; piney; spicy; pineapple; grassy; tropical fruit; citrus
Beer-lord

Re: Founders Azacca IPA

Post by Beer-lord »

One of my Hippity Hoppity had Azacca and Huel Melon in it. Wasn't sure what it did but I liked it. I didn't get all the stuff you posted but I did make a note to brew a similar pale with it again.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow...that's quite the list of characteristics. Anybody that can pick each and every one of those out at the same time is a freak of nature.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Where (geographically) is this available? If I travel somewhere it's offered, I'll give it a try.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm not sure where they distribute but they just recently added California to the list. I've been trying a number of their beers (All Day IPA, Centennial IPA, Breakfast Stout, etc.) and liked them. I'll have to see if my local place has this on tap or maybe in bottles where I can make a mixer.

Edit:

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'll look for it th is week. Not all the 'special' Founders seem to make it's way to us.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

From that list, in the hop forward Azacca Saison I made I tasted the ones NOT striked through.

mango; papaya; orange; grapefruit; lemon; piney; spicy; pineapple; grassy; tropical fruit; citrus

But I didn't dry hop it, it was a single late addition with something like a 10 minute boil.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I forgot to look for this but did see some today and grabbed the last 4. Bottled in mid January so it still should be somewhat fresh.
I'll find out tomorrow night what this is all about.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I haven't seen it yet, so please let us know, sir.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I did have one of these last night and it was good but I'll need to try another one this weekend and give some particulars because we had such amazing food and beer last night that it was sensory overload.
We had fresh Ghost and Dr. Hoptagon and someone brought a fresh Pliny and it was all a sensory-meld.
I can say that I remember some tropical like flavors and I think mango and papaya came to mind but let me revisit it and see if I can do better than that. But, if you can find some, get it because it's Founders!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote: We had fresh Ghost and Dr. Hoptagon and someone brought a fresh Pliny and it was all a sensory-meld.
That's quite the lineup! :banana:
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

I don't really like it
But I don't like any founders beer a lot
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I had another one tonite with a clean palette and while it was good, I was not overwhelmed. It did have a earthy-grapefruit rind type aroma (which I don't recall ever running into before) and it came across as a bit more malty then I would have thought. It's got a bit of fruity flavor but I was really wanting, expecting more. Close to being balanced but I wanted more flavor out of it.
Of course, all the beers I drink I like to taste early and late and I did enjoy this beer a bit warmer, just as I thought I would.
At first taste I thought I got an almost sweet taste but it quickly went away and that's when the bit of malt came in to play. Did not come across tropical as I noticed 2 nights ago.
I still have a few bottles so while not bad, I'm not sure I'd grab this until it comes out again next time (if it does).
So to review, not bad, not great-don't go out your way to get a sixer but try a bottle and let me know your thoughts.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black