Portable RO system

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Portable RO system

Post by Beer-lord »

I've thought about getting RO water locally and there's none close nor would it be easy to work with transporting 9 gallons of water around.
I know there are portable systems around made for RV's and campers that do about 2 gallons an hour so that is an option for those who want it but as I have no experience with this nor know what is quality and what is crap, I'm curious if anyone uses a portable system and the pros and cons of them.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Portable RO system

Post by Gymrat »

I bought one of these last fall
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000 ... 1_1&sr=8-1
The downsides are I have to use a pressure reducer ahead of it so it takes a little longer to fill my kettle. And in cold weather it sometimes clogs from ice and I have to tap it on my driveway a few times.
I use it with one of these to get the water to my little garage brewery.
http://smile.amazon.com/7612-50-NeverKi ... water+hose
My filter is supposed to be good for up to 200 gallons of water. So I should only need to replace it every other year.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Lucky for me, ice is not a problem. But, I was thinking about RO water so that I could start from scratch. I'm reluctant to spend the money because I already know what my water is and have adjusted it but wonder if I could do more. I'm likely overthinking the whole thing but it seems my water adjustments work perfect to pale ales, and my stouts are fine too but my IPA's seem to be lacking.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I use that filter on my camper, but I still will not drink the well water that goes thru it at the campground. looking around this sounds like what you are looking for Paul. http://www.reverseosmosisrevolution.com ... aQodf1IGgg
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks Steve. I bookmarked that site early this morning before posting about it. Amazon offers both the 4 and 5 stage.
I usually fill my pot the night before so waiting to get 9 gallons over 2 1/2 to 3 hours is not a big deal.

I've read about but still not sure about this:
Option #2. Water Re-Mineralization filter (contents 58 Minerals for your body). Filter restores natural calcium, magnesium and other minerals removed during the reverse osmosis process.
though this link does explain it a bit. I doubt I'd need or want this for brewing.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If your going to want to build your own water profile you don't want it to put minerals back in. You'd have to send that water for analysis to know what to add. And maybe not be able to build it up everyway you might want. May as well just analyze your tap water at that point and build on it unless it's totally hideous.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Even if you tap water is totally hideous, you can still use it. I dilute both mash and sparge water with distilled water, then add in the chemicals to reach the profile. Each recipe is different, so it requires a new water calculation each time.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Dave, I've had my water tested and have enjoyed some good results with 'most' of the beers I brew. I guess I should just try buying RO water locally and go thru the trouble of hauling it around to see if I can tell any difference.
I can say my Tale of Two Frankenpales came out extremely enjoyable and I don't think I'd change a thing for that type of beer though I do seem to be having some trouble nailing some IPA's lately.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I use my filter on my tap water coming through my hose mainly to remove chlorine. I am sure it removes a number of other contaminants as well. I really don't detect a difference in my beer. But by just filtering I am not changing the Ph, metal, or lime content.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

The tap water here, basically Lake Erie, filtered, chlorinated and phosphated seems to make great beer.

I de-chlorinate it before brewing but other than that, it's great for dark beers, Belgians and IPA's...

Makes good Ambers and Pales but not anything that needs soft water...

Like Pilsners... :(

:cool:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

BigPapaG wrote:The tap water here, basically Lake Erie, filtered, chlorinated and phosphated seems to make great beer.

I de-chlorinate it before brewing but other than that, it's great for dark beers, Belgians and IPA's...

Have found that most of the Great Lakes cities water profiles are very similar with small variances in minerals and alkalinity.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:I use that filter on my camper, but I still will not drink the well water that goes thru it at the campground. looking around this sounds like what you are looking for Paul. http://www.reverseosmosisrevolution.com ... aQodf1IGgg
That's not a bad price for an RO filter. The fourth stage, using the carbon block, will 'polish' the RO water on the way to your kettle. I have a three stage RO filter mounted on the side of my utility sink, it's basically the same type of filter and makes the same amount of RO water.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:
BigPapaG wrote:The tap water here, basically Lake Erie, filtered, chlorinated and phosphated seems to make great beer.

Have found that most of the Great Lakes cities water profiles are very similar with small variances in minerals and alkalinity.
For most beers I just use my Eerie water too, just treated with campden, but at sterilization levels since I use it for topping up at times, and it gets to my house in 100 year old pipes of mystery.

Same as you - pretty much anything is fine, except for soft water beers like Pilsner. I'd just go buy some jugged water for a bohemian pils. I add gypsum and/or calcium chloride for a few types of beer, but not many.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Liked my water did ya. I'll start looking for a house for you. Are you bringing Chuck? It would be fun to watch Sharon when it snows!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Inkleg wrote:Liked my water did ya. I'll start looking for a house for you. Are you bringing Chuck? It would be fun to watch Sharon when it snows!
Yep. I rarely even notice water when I drink it and I drink lots of it all day. But when I tasted your water, I definitely noticed how good it was right away.
Your neighbors wouldn't like us bringing their property values down in your area but worse, you live there and that's way too much for me to deal with. :oops: :wow: :cool:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black