BrewCipher

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

BrewCipher

Post by Beer-lord »

I've seen recipe/calculator a number of times recently and last night, while watching some basketball, played with this and I think I like it. It's geeky and it does take some work but I may try using this on this weekend's brew and see how it goes.
It seems to be updated often and it looks like January was the most recent update.
Has anyone used this yet? There are lots of things it allows you to control and even has some suggested water profiles.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: BrewCipher

Post by Kealia »

Nope, never heard of it. I'm just dialing in my mash temps and water profiles in BeerSmith so i'm not looking for anything new though. Except some damn Red-X!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I downloaded it. I'll check it out.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

That seems like a lot of work to go through to avoid paying $27.95 for BeerSmith.

Maybe I've got a short attention span, but a spreadsheet that needs a 50 page manual to use seems like overkill to me. Maybe BeerSmith has a manual, too, so that may be unfair. But I never needed a manual to use BS and I didn't want to do anything with that spreadsheet without reading up on it first.

I did a quick search and didn't see any way to adjust boiling point or the effect it has on hop utilization (I live at an elevation, so water boils at a lower temperature). BeerSmith doesn't do that well, either, but that's really my only complaint with it (it does some adjustments, but not all).
I used qbrew and it was fine for recipes that were mostly based on HMEs, but it was lacking as I started adding on (it does a particularly poor job of calculating IBUs, for example).

My brother uses brewmate but I guess it's no longer being maintained. The new program is Brewer's Friend, which looks like an online calculator or a Windows only download.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've played with it a bit more and it is a lot of work but you can get some decent water help with it. It seems to be similar to Bru'n water but maybe a bit easier to make adjustments.
Beersmith's volume numbers never seem to work out for me so I've always used other free tools for volumes.
But, I agree, it's a large manual but I did say it was geeky!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I downloaded it. Maybe I'll fool with it sometime. It's always nice to have different things available. Sometimes one is better for a particular brewing project.
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

Did anybody try this ? Ive been using BiaBacus for about 4 years now , but , I like the water calculator already tied in.
J
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I still like EZWater and B'run Water and use only those now.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

ok Thanks.. Might fool with it more today & tomorrow with td-9 coming thru tomorrow. All the storms from outer bands keeping me from working today also.
J
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

jhough wrote:ok Thanks.. Might fool with it more today & tomorrow with td-9 coming thru tomorrow. All the storms from outer bands keeping me from working today also.
J
Stay safe, hope it doesn't cause too much trouble for ya'll in Fla!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black