EZwatercalculator - Old Vinyl IPA pH Reading

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

EZwatercalculator - Old Vinyl IPA pH Reading

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The following is a tale of 3 pH measurements, the EZwatercalculator 'calculated' pH value, the 'modified' RO water pH value and the 'actual' mash pH value.

Old Vinyl IPA
---------------
23.00 pounds 2 Row (US)
00.50 pounds Crystal 60L (British)

Water Profile (15 Gallons)
---------------
pH 5.51 @ 70F [Calculated]
pH 3.75 @ 68F [Pre-Mash]
pH 5.41 @ 77F - Mash Actual
old-vinyl-4sml.jpg
old-vinyl-4sml.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Sun May 08, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: EZwatercalculator - Old Vinyl IPA pH Reading

Post by Beer-lord »

Can't ask for anything closer than that, can you? I guess I was expecting that we should be closer to the calculated but I'm learning that small variations aren't a bad thing at all.
Thanks for sharing this.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well Paul for me an IPA mashed near 148F the pH can be closer to 5.40 and not be a problem. For maltier beers mashed near 154F I'd prefer the pH to be closer to 5.60, I'll still brew a good beer if the pH is off a little though. With my RO water being equal to anyone else's RO water then the only variable has to be the pH of grains. The only way to prove it without a doubt is if I were to buy enough of the same grains to brew 2 separate batches. Then treat the RO water for both batches exactly the same way, mash the grains the same way and expect to see the same pH values too. Since I've never brewed 2 batches of beer in that way I can't prove the grains have an impact on the mash pH, but I suspect that they do.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have found using EZ Water that its ph estimation was usually .1 higher than my actual just like you show in your post. Have you noticed the same using EZ Water?
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:I have found using EZ Water that its ph estimation was usually .1 higher than my actual just like you show in your post. Have you noticed the same using EZ Water?
@MadBrewer In a word, yes. Although until very recently, I have never been able to understand why there was any difference at all. I'll explain. For the past several weeks I have been devoting an extraordinary amount of time to my digital pH meter. I've actually cleaned the bulb and calibrated the meter every night after dinner for well over a week. I learned that leaving the pH meter, storage, cleaning and calibrating solutions out in plain sight would remind me to spend the extra 10 minutes fussing over my meter. As it turns out the more often a pH meter is calibrated the more responsive to pH change and accurate it's readings become. Thanks to the extra effort and time spent calibrating the meter I am now more confident than ever that I'm getting the true pH readings.

I've also taken another closer look at the EZwatercalculator instructions too. Especially the legend showing the distilled water pH values of the different grains that are available to choose from when entering your recipe. Among the most obvious were the large differences in pH, of the same type of grain when sourced from different maltsters, each of them had significantly different pH values. For instance the default pH for US 2-Row malt is 5.70, while the pH value of Rahr 2-Row malt is 5.56 for a difference in pH of 0.14 which is greater than the 0.10 difference stated earlier.

From EZwatercalculator:
"The above values are used to calculate mash pH. They may vary depending on maltster or other factors - for example Rahr 2-Row has been found to be 5.56. Modify if necessary."

On of the first things I found out, while developing software for fun and profit, is that eliminating variables is the surest way to produce reliably consistent results. I think it's safe to assume that EZwatercalculator uses the same internal formulas when solving for pH, leaving the pH of the grain used in a recipe as the only remaining variable. As with most things in life ' trust but verify' and confirm your actual mash pH using a meter to be sure.