Memorial Day

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Memorial Day

Post by FedoraDave »

First, let me point out that this is not a holiday for officially kicking off summer, or for having cookouts and parties. These things are part of our Memorial Day traditions, and we should enjoy them, but this is a day for remembering those who gave their lives in the service of our country, and who defended our rights and perpetuated our ability to freely enjoy cookouts and parties. Keep them in mind as you enjoy the day. :flag:

And there are plans to be made. I will be working Saturday, but I was clever and asked for a vacation day for Tuesday, so I get a three-day weekend after all.

Sunday is brew day, as usual. Monday I'll be barbecuing; I think I'll make a pork shoulder for delicious pulled pork sandwiches, with plenty left over to vacuum-seal and freeze for later. And Tuesday I'll be making more barbecue sauce, because supplies are dangerously low.

What are your plans? What's on the menu?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Memorial Day

Post by Pudge »

Having our foundation drain replaced around the house this spring. Rainy weather has the contractor way, way behind. Currently, our foundation is exposed and the back deck is gone... awaiting our new one. I can't even begin to open the pool (pump disconnected) until this guy is done. Weather man is calling for a beautiful holiday weekend in the 90s. Of course, why not?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I totally agree, it's a day of remembrance and that should never be forgotten.
I would be brewing Sunday as well but have plans that I can't shake so Monday I'll be brewing my favorite black IPA and BBQing as well. It'll be just above 90 so I'll try to stay in the shade as much as possible.
Tuesday I'll be over at Dave's house steeling pulled pork out of his fridge. :idea:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

We'll be flying our flag :flag: high and proud. My dad, wife and son in law all served in the US Army.

Grandson turns 2 on Memorial Day - Homebrews and a birthday party cook out are slated for Monday. :party:
Thirsting For Knowledge
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

:flag: TO ALL THAT SERVED AND ARE SERVING!!!! :flag:

Have the new camper in place and will be getting the smoker cleaned and ready for Sunday 10 lb brisket, some baby back ribs and chicken. Always cook for a group of us at the campground on holiday weekends. Saturday will head to the local Dragstrip 4 miles from campground, Thompson Drag Raceway, the guys I used to work for and race with are going to be there for Asphalt Wars Quick 8. They run 1/8th mile, door cars run in the high 3's to low 4's at 170-175 mph and the dragsters are in the mid to upper 3's at 180+ mph. They run an 8 car field in each so usually 15-20 of each trying to qualify. Did that for a living for almost 12 years as an engine builder and crew member.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I never knew that about you Steve. You are an interesting man!
Have fun this weekend.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

I will head to camp with the family and attend the Memorial Day parade. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

My hat goes off to those who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Beer-lord wrote: You are an interesting man!
And I have never tried Dos Equis! :D
On the way to Asheville made a stop at Bristol Motor Speedway to take some pics on the dragstrip, spent a lot of time racing there in the 80's and 90's. I thought Donna showed you's guys the pictures.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Must have been the twin and before I got there.
Stay away from the Dos Equis too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

I just made my plans seconds ago.......I'll be at Dawg's on Sunday for sure now. :jumpy:
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

I might have to work Monday evening, but I'm the boss, so I'm gently encouraging the employees to choose Monday as their day off!

I might even get away with it, too! We'll see.

also on the agenda, I plan to clean the kegerator out and make a parts list to order from kegconnection. I'll be getting new tubing, new taps and new shanks--all stainless (well, except for the tubing ;) ), no more of the cheap chrome crap for me. :)
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Well I will be kegging. The problem I have with memorial day is that is the day that people pull out their flags. Remembrance should be every day. Put your flag out and leave it out all year long. Thank a soldier or vet every time you see one, not just once a year. Thanks to all the people who serve or have served for keeping this great country great, and still the best (albeit a little screwy) place to live.

:flag: :flag: :flag:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Whamolagan wrote:Well I will be kegging. The problem I have with memorial day is that is the day that people pull out their flags. Remembrance should be every day. Put your flag out and leave it out all year long. Thank a soldier or vet every time you see one, not just once a year. Thanks to all the people who serve or have served for keeping this great country great, and still the best (albeit a little screwy) place to live.

:flag: :flag: :flag:
^^^^^ THIS! And a green light wouldn't hurt either! ^^^^^

:flag:

:cool:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I asked to be off on the Holiday so I am off after 2 pm Saturday, off Sunday and off Monday. Turned down double time and a half for Monday but some time off is more valuable to me at this point. Going to a friend's BBQ on Saturday evening. Sunday I will probably start opening my pool. Monday I'm sure I will put some burgers on the grill and have a few beers. Tuesday is my Birthday and I have a double shift at work, so I have to get it all in over the weekend.

I'm not a Military man or from a Military family but as any other American I appreciate those who served, are serving or those who sacrificed their life for this country. But my peeve is it is Memorial Day, for those who gave their life to protect ours. It's so easily interchanged with Veterans Day or Armed Forces Day...not that we shouldn't respect and appreciate any and all who serve(d) but Memorial Day is to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice yet I see people treat it more as Veteran's Day.
Brew Strong My Friends...
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Okay, my plans have changed. They're calling for rain on Monday, which would make smoking a little difficult, and not much fun. Also, while I usually brew on Sunday, my wife, who is out of town, asked me to look in on my father on Sunday, to give my mom a little break and allow her to get out to church. I'm happy to do so.

So I'm going to keg a batch Sunday morning, go over and visit with Dad, then go shopping for all the stuff I need. I'll make my barbecue sauce some time Sunday afternoon/evening, then, because of the rain, I'll brew on Monday, and smoke the pork shoulder on Tuesday.

It's all good.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer