Beersmith Podcast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Beersmith Podcast

Post by Beer-lord »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFk5MRAmApQ
A good podcast from Homebrew Con with John Palmer regarding yeast.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Beersmith Podcast

Post by Whamolagan »

Great video. This should be recommended to every person who brews beer.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

That is an interesting interview.
I currently am trying to get yeast from honey going again. Quite a while ago I gathered yeast from raw honey starters. One was a bit more sour and one was more neutral. I found that further generations tended more toward mild under the conditions I was using. This is the yeast I was using for my "Sumerian Beer", and I was using it specifically because of the phrase "brewing it with honey and wine" in the Ninkasi poem where I assume it means the yeast or trub from a honey/grape fermentation (mead/wine) rather than just dumping honey/wine in it. So more yeast as opposed to a more lacto fermentation.

I have a couple of quarts of 1.036 wort to which I added a heaping tablespoon of 8/10/14 yeast harvested from honey. I hope to keep it going and use it for more "Sumerian Beer".
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

You go Prof
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:in the Ninkasi poem where I assume it means the yeast or trub from a honey/grape fermentation (mead/wine) rather than just dumping honey/wine in it. So more yeast as opposed to a more lacto fermentation.
I think if you want to isolate more yeast and less "other", you may want to try to skim the top of your krausen once fermentation has settled down a bit, but the krausen hasn't fallen yet. Yeast is big and gets stuck in the top of the krausen (it's too big to fit through the "cracks" as such). Where other bugs are tiny and should fall back through the "cracks" the yeast can't fit through. The bugs can't crawl up, and gravity will tend to drag them back down. So in a covered fermenter, the top of the krausen should be more yeasty and less "othery" at that stage of fermentation. Where everything will eventually end up in the trub later.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Thanks for posting this. I haven't listened to it yet, but it reminded me to download some podcasts for my flight tomorrow.