10 Gallon Mash Cooler "Build", $50

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

10 Gallon Mash Cooler "Build", $50

Post by John Sand »

I used my new mash tun on Friday. I "built" it for about $50, pretty quickly. A Rubbermaid 10 gallon orange water cooler cost $45 at Home Depot, a polyester voile curtain $6 at Walmart. I sewed the curtain into a bag to fit the cooler, I had a spare BrewDemon spigot on hand. The plastic spigot fits a bit loosely in the collar, but seals watertight. It's a small spigot, the flow is rapid, but it does take a few minutes to drain. I'm very happy with it, I like simple, and especially inexpensive equipment.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DjPorkchop

Re: 10 Gallon Mash Cooler "Build", $50

Post by DjPorkchop »

Nice! New equipment should put a smile on everyones face! lol

On a side note, I been itching to build a tun again. i had one once and sold it just because. So a buddy called me today with 2 like new 10 gallon coolers I could have for free! NICE! In the car I jumped , drove my happy self over there, no spigots. Sealed coolers. :-( I graciously took them anyhow. Now I am wondering if I can carefully drill out spigot holes. I'll build 2 and sell one or give it away to someone that is new and ready to get happy brewing lol Paying it forward never hurt anyone.

Take care man! Hope you enjoy the new Tun!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 10 Gallon Mash Cooler "Build", $50

Post by John Sand »

Thanks TJ. I think you can drill the coolers. Worst case you might need to install a bit of pipe to seal the foam. Let us know how it goes. No matter what, your build cost will be way below mine! :)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.