Stroh's Beer is back!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stroh's Beer is back!

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Stroh's beer was huge here Michigan and was brewed right here in Detroit, but when it was bought by Pabst in the the 1980s. The brewery was shut down in 1985 and that was pretty much the end of Stroh's Beer as we knew it. Now more then 30 years later Stroh's is back, well kinda, sorta. Pabst has contracted with Brew Detroit a 68,000-square-foot contract brewing facility in the downtown Detroit area known as Cork Town to brew a version of the beer from an 1800s recipe that is more malty and hop forward then what was produced in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

When I was in high school Stroh's was my go to beer. It was cheap but it tasted much better then Bud or Miller and was 10 times the beer then the light beers that were just starting to become popular back in the 80s. A 6 pack of Stroh's will run about $8 now verses about $3 back in the day but I am really interested to try out this new/old version and see how it stacks up.

Find out more here -------> http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine ... /89099776/
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
BlackDuck

Re: Stroh's Beer is back!

Post by BlackDuck »

Interesting...I remember my dad buying Stroh's every now and then. If they end up sending any south to Ohio, I would pick up a 6 pack to try it!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It sounds like an actual Bohemian Pilsner vs. typical Macro beer. I would probably enjoy it.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

And remember, Stroh's spelled backwards is Shorts.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Rye-Guy IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

My first job right out of High School in the mid "70's was working for a trucking company that hauled Strohs out of Detroit back here to NY. Bottles, cans and Kegs. Any breakage the company had to pay for so we got to keep a lot of beer in our shop fridge that we would work on after work. :cheers:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Sounds like Pabst is trying to hit the market with old style brews. They are also the one's that sell the Old Tankard Ale from an old recipe.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Similar to the rebirth of Sterling coming soon to Louisville, and following Falls City, which was reinvented as an English Pale. We're going to see lots of these old names brought back, and most will be cross over beers, or bridge beers between old school and new. I'm not sure how feel about the marketing. Some things seem cool, others seem like a quick recognition for an otherwise low to mid quality beer.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Stroh a party time :beer:
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

I remember Strohs light as the absolute worse beer I ever tried to drink
Could never finish one
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

The_Professor wrote:Sounds like Pabst is trying to hit the market with old style brews. They are also the one's that sell the Old Tankard Ale from an old recipe.
Yep, they also make the quite good Schlitz (based on the 50's era formula) as well...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

swenocha wrote:
The_Professor wrote:Sounds like Pabst is trying to hit the market with old style brews. They are also the one's that sell the Old Tankard Ale from an old recipe.
Yep, they also make the quite good Schlitz (based on the 50's era formula) as well...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly, Schlitz was what I used to drink if I wanted to feel hungover without going to the trouble of actually getting drunk.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

MrBandGuy wrote:Similar to the rebirth of Sterling coming soon to Louisville, and following Falls City, which was reinvented as an English Pale. We're going to see lots of these old names brought back, and most will be cross over beers, or bridge beers between old school and new. I'm not sure how feel about the marketing. Some things seem cool, others seem like a quick recognition for an otherwise low to mid quality beer.
But, if so, that's what the market will bear, and even what the market demands. Same as with all the over-the-top IPAs that have flooded the market, and the bizarre specialty beers you see here and there. Eventually things will shake down, things will change, some of these will fall by the wayside, and some will become a new standard of sorts. My opinion is, the more diversity in the marketplace, the better. Yes, we weep for the unwashed, uneducated masses who are taken in by slick marketing of inferior products, but that's their right and privilege, isn't it? And someone has to provide those products. It doesn't affect me. Just because my neighbor drinks watered-down pseudo-beer doesn't mean I have to.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Rye-Guy IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

"Fire brewed Stroh's".

I still remember the commercial of the guy crawling through the desert. He comes across a guy who offers him some "nice cool water". He thanks the man and crawls away saying would rather have a Stoh's.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Pudge wrote:"Fire brewed Stroh's".

I still remember the commercial of the guy crawling through the desert. He comes across a guy who offers him some "nice cool water". He thanks the man and crawls away saying would rather have a Stroh's.
I remember that one too! That is all my dad drank till Miller Lite came along. I also heard that Pabst was also contract brewing Carlings Black Label that was based on their Cleveland breweries recipe.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Back in the day when I was a teen my dad had a beer meister. He always had a keg of Strohs on tap. My buddies and I would fill gallon jugs, head to the walking bridge, climb down the piers, slug that stuff down and get all hammered up. :whistle: At the time my dad was always saying " My kegs don't seem to last as long as I thought they would!" He would ask me all the time if I was stealing his beer. No doubt I would lie my ass off and tell him no. It was a good scheme for me and my buddies until my brother the narc told on me.