California Common Carb madness

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

California Common Carb madness

Post by Ibasterd »

Hey guys

Been a while since I've posted, but I'm still alive and lurking about on the Borg. Just wanted to share my experience with a recent batch of California Common that I made. The recipe can be found here (http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... nia-common) if anyone's interested. This came out pretty nice as far as flavor goes. A nice tawny brown, nice and malty with some light fruit notes. My problem with this batch is the carb level. It's insane! I use flip top bottles, and upon opening, it's like a champagne bottle. And then comes the gushing. The batch is not infected, it's just WAY too carbed. I used the same amount of priming sugar as always, so I think it's an incomplete fermentation or the yeast I used, which is "San Francisco Lager Yeast WPL810". I've read that this yeast is highly "effervescent". I went about 3weeks in the fermenter, which has always been enough, but I'm thinking that with this pseudo Lager yeast, maybe it needs to go longer.

I've been dealing with the problem by pre-opening the bottles to vent off some CO2. The nice things about flip-tops is that this can be done easily. I been having to pop a top and quickly re-sealing before the gushing. I have to do this maybe five times, letting the bubbles settle before each purge. I am guessing at how much CO2 to purge, but it has been working pretty well. After purging like this, I'll stick them in the fridge for a few days, and the carb level is much better.

Don't know if anyone has had a similar problem with this yeast? Anyways, the beer tastes good, I just can't hand any out, unless I'm trying to get back at someone.

Cheers
Attachments
14034959_1244751858870960_3939573678756166741_n.jpg
14034959_1244751858870960_3939573678756166741_n.jpg (95.6 KiB) Viewed 866 times
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Beer-lord

Re: California Common Carb madness

Post by Beer-lord »

Are you sure it was finished fermenting? I've not used that yeast and it says attenuation is 65-70% and it looks like yours was 68% if that final reading was correct.
We've had a few bottles that were overcarbed and others that were fine but the longer they sat, the worse they got.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've used WLP810 a couple of times and not had that issue.

Did you make a starter or just pitch a vial? And/or how old was the vial?

That might be the difference between it getting done and stalling out a bit for a while.

FWIW, I'd have pitched a 800ml starter in a 2.5 gallon batch of that. A 2-3 month old vial on its own would possibly only have about 1/2 of the amount of viable yeast I would want to pitch.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

mashani wrote:I've used WLP810 a couple of times and not had that issue.

Did you make a starter or just pitch a vial? And/or how old was the vial?

That might be the difference between it getting done and stalling out a bit for a while.

FWIW, I'd have pitched a 800ml starter in a 2.5 gallon batch of that. A 2-3 month old vial on its own would possibly only have about 1/2 of the amount of viable yeast I would want to pitch.
I made a starter for a 2.5 gal batch. Didn't check the yeast pack for freshness. I'm assuming the ferment wasn't quite finished. For some reason that I can't remember, I didn't take a F.G. sample, so I guess I'll never really know.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've made a CC 3-4 times and have always used that yeast without issue, so count another one for "no issues".

At least your silver lining is that they don't seem to be infected and taste good. That along with the ability to vent the pop tops easily allows you to save the batch.

And....it just caught my eye that you mentioned a 2.5G batch but the recipe linked to is for a 2.2G batch. With just a quick look at a priming calculator that could be 0.3oz too much sugar if that is in fact the case.
I haven't crunched the numbers to see what that would do to carb levels but is this possibly what happened?
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I bottle prime, not batch. I'm fairly certain that it's an incomplete ferment.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Okie dokie. Like I said, glad you didn't lose the batch.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Wow that FG is high, I have used that yeast twice on C.C.'s and I believe both times it finished in the 1.007-1.009 range, so I would tend to go with it not finished fermenting. Both times I kept the fermenting temp at 62 same as yours from the recipe.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

This is of much interest to me. A couple years ago I brewed my South Ferry Steam Beer and entered it in a competition. It was also a 2.5g batch, and also used that yeast. The sample I submitted to the comp was a gusher, but none of the other bottles in that batch gushed. And I batch prime, so all of this is curious to me.

I ferment all of my batches for 3 weeks, and in my case, I can only figure that it was my bad luck to submit bottles that weren't cleaned properly and might have had a speck of something that acted as a nucleation point for the gusher. Or else some excess yeast happened to get into that bottle.

In your case, I can only guess that your sugar level might have been a wee bit high, and perhaps the beer wasn't completely fermented at bottling. The combination of the two might be doing a number on the batch as a whole.

But it's interesting, as I said, since this is happening with the same style, yeast, and fermentation time as mine.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rye-Guy IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

FedoraDave wrote:This is of much interest to me. A couple years ago I brewed my South Ferry Steam Beer and entered it in a competition. It was also a 2.5g batch, and also used that yeast. The sample I submitted to the comp was a gusher, but none of the other bottles in that batch gushed. And I batch prime, so all of this is curious to me.

I ferment all of my batches for 3 weeks, and in my case, I can only figure that it was my bad luck to submit bottles that weren't cleaned properly and might have had a speck of something that acted as a nucleation point for the gusher. Or else some excess yeast happened to get into that bottle.

In your case, I can only guess that your sugar level might have been a wee bit high, and perhaps the beer wasn't completely fermented at bottling. The combination of the two might be doing a number on the batch as a whole.

But it's interesting, as I said, since this is happening with the same style, yeast, and fermentation time as mine.
I think it's as you said and is a combination for me. For your case, since it was only one bottle, probably a bottle contamination issue. In any case, I was just pointing out that it's nice to have flip-tops in a situation like this.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Here is proof that the bottles that I vented are worth saving. Pretty good beer!
Attachments
14263984_1258610047485141_529693585344350531_n.jpg
14263984_1258610047485141_529693585344350531_n.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 766 times
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning