carbonation

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, philm00x, gwcr, LouieMacGoo

carbonation

Postby sawansley » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:13 pm

I just purchased the american ale and the brewing enhancer. DO i need anything for carbonation, or will it happen with these items?

Brew Guru

Re: carbonation

Postby John Sand » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello, and welcome! Carbonation requires additional sugar. The yeast will eat all of the sugar in your ingredient kit, leaving it alcoholic and slightly carbonated. When you put it in the bottle you add a little sugar for the yeast to carbonate. There should be instructions, maybe even a measuring spoon in your kit. For a twelve ounce bottle I find that Domino Dot sugar cubes are just about right. If your bottles are pint or half liter, you need more.
Let us know how it works out.

Brew Guru

Postby Dawg LB Steve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 am

Welcome to the Borg, if you have questions please ask!!! John pretty much covered the carb question. I want to give you a heads up on giving it more time than the instruction call for. Best way to get a decent beer out of these kits is to let the beer ferment 3 weeks, bottle condition for 4 weeks, put what you will drink in the fridge for 2-3 days to let the CO2 absorb back into the beer. For an FYI experiment, you can put a bottle in the fridge @ 2, 3, and 4 week marks and try as you go, you will see the progression of how the beer tastes as it is conditioning.
:welcome: :cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
YeastFest WLP810
YeastFest WLP029
Cherry Mead

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 4
Bronze 4

Actively brewing since December 2013

Fully Fermented

Postby TonyKZ1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:02 am

Hello and welcome to the site!
Yep, basically what was already said. 3 weeks in the fermenter, in the mid 60s temperature range and then 4 weeks at room temp for carbonating/conditioning. As for the priming sugar required when bottling, here's a link to Mr. Beer's recommended sugar priming amounts for bottle priming. On BrewDemon's site, the 2G instructions also recommends the same amounts of priming sugar. Most of us use just a little less than that though. As in the chart recommends 3/4 an ounce of priming sugar for 12oz bottle, I and others use 1/2 ounce. Or one of the Domino Dots 1/2 ounce sugar cubes, that makes it easier.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tapakegaday » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm

I just need some clarification, as im new to brewing also. do you ferment for 3 weeks and then once you bottle it let it sit for another 4 weeks to carbonate or wait until week number 4 to try for taste?

Braumeister

Postby bpgreen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Tapakegaday wrote:I just need some clarification, as im new to brewing also. do you ferment for 3 weeks and then once you bottle it let it sit for another 4 weeks to carbonate or wait until week number 4 to try for taste?

Ferment for three weeks, then bottle with priming sugar and let them sit 4 more weeks to carbonate and condition.

Uber Brewer

Postby ScrewyBrewer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm

bpgreen wrote:
Tapakegaday wrote:I just need some clarification, as im new to brewing also. do you ferment for 3 weeks and then once you bottle it let it sit for another 4 weeks to carbonate or wait until week number 4 to try for taste?

Ferment for three weeks, then bottle with priming sugar and let them sit 4 more weeks to carbonate and condition.

During the 6-7 week waiting period, you may want to brew another batch of beer. That's how you get what's called a pipeline going. With a little planning you can have cold beers to drink while waiting for that next batch to be ready.
'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'

Return to BrewDemon Recipes