Low Gravity - Again

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Low Gravity - Again

Post by BlackDuck »

So, as noted in the Elvis Juice recipe thread, I came in low on my gravity....again. Today was supposed to be 1.061 and it finished at 1.054. Up until now, I almost always hit my OG whithin two or so points up or down. Nothing has seemed to change from previous batches as far as crush, volumes, etc.

However, one major thing has changed. I upgraded to the newest version of BeerSmith. This is the second batch in a row since upgrading and both missed by just about the same number. My last batch missed by 6 points, and this one missed by 7 points. The batch before upgrading was a predicted 1.054 and my actual was 1.053. I did not change any other settings in BeerSmith. But I'm surely going to go back and do some digging. There has got to be something going on since upgrading the software.

Has anyone else seen a drop in actual OG as compared to predicted BeerSmith OG's since upgrading?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Low Gravity - Again

Post by Beer-lord »

I've got the latest Beersmith and have been fine. Is it possible the update changed your efficiency %? I've never even checked if mine changed.
Is the grain you're using milled enough?
Keep some DME handy, get a refractometer and check near the end of the boil and you can always add some DME if needed or even some dextrose.
I went on a low run a few years ago but did nothing but make water volume adjustments to fix my problems.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Low Gravity - Again

Post by Brewbirds »

Have you checked in on BS yet?
BB2 didn't want to do the upgrade right away, mostly because of saved data issues but he likes to wait for the chatter about issues before doing most upgrades.

It is a bummer to work on a recipe, plan, shop and set up for a brew day and then have to grab some DME last minute to "repair" a problem.

I hope you have success in nailing down the problem and hope others will post/share their BS upgrade stories.

:clink:
Sibling Brewers
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I've brewed once since upgrading. My OG was off by 4 points, but traced it back to being my fault on brew day. Past that I've not had any problems with the update and think they did a good job with it.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The crush has been the same as it always has been. There has got to be a setting that is off somewhere. I write the recipe on my desktop, which has been upgraded, then send it to the cloud and retrieve it on my iPad and run it on BeerSmith Mobile on brew day. Are you guys doing this too? Or are you using the desktop version on brewday? Wonder if something is getting lost in translation between the new upgraded version on the mobile version? Someting to look into.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Here's what I've found comparing today's recipe to the last one that I hit my numbers on.
Last recipe had a total grain weight of 12 pounds. The predicted OG was 1.054 and the actual was 1.053.
Today's recipe had a total grain weight of 13.5 pounds. The predicted OG was 1.061 and the actual was 1.054.

I don't think that an additional 1.5 pounds of grain is enough to get 7 more points. I wonder why it would tell me that 13.5 pounds should get and OG of 1.061. All the other settings on the equipment profile and the mash profile are identical between the two on the mobile version. The desktop version is on my computer at work, so those comparisons will have to wait until Monday to check. Things that make you go HHHmmmmm!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, my brewing software thinks 1.5#'s will give you ~8 gravity points at 75% utilization.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks Mashani. Maybe that's not it then. I'll keep looking and trying to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Just throwing things against the wall. Are you sure that both batches had the correct grain weight? I find that if I miss my numbers it's usually because I've shorted the grain somewhere.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

As far as I know it was correct. My LHBS is a self serve style store. You weigh and grind your own grain. I always run the grain through the grinder twice. I'll have to look at the spent grain this morning to see how many whole kernels of grain are still intact. Maybe I need to start running through three times.

I appreciate the thought...that's what this thread is all about, just throw stuff against the wall. Cause if I didn't think of it in the beginning, I probably won't think of it now so I won't know to look there to fix it. And sometimes it takes someone else to say something to trigger a thought.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Is there scale accurate?
As for double and triple milling, I think you can run into trouble if you're not careful. But, every mill is different. Mine came from the factory just right and I've not adjusted it yet. Great crush.
However, as a BIABer, I can say that I find stirring every 10-15 minutes a huge help. When I first started this method, I never stirred but I read a few times how it helped, tried it and noticed an immediate improvement.
My Beersmith is set to 76% but I routinely get the low 80's with stirring like I do.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

They have a good scale, so I'm assuming it's accurate. I've always double crushed there with no problems. They even have a sign that says...Check your crush, if it's not how you want it, run the grain through again. I stirred twice through the mash. The first one was 30 minutes in and the next was 15 minutes after that.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Beer-lord wrote: My Beersmith is set to 76%
Is this the Brewhouse Efficiency setting on the Design tab your setting at 76%?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yes, I can't remember what the default is set for and I've played with that number for many, many batches until 76% worked with my equipment.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow. That's fantastic. Mine is set to 68% and I can't even hit that number. I suck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck