S-04 fast?

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

S-04 fast?

Post by Beer-lord »

I haven't used S-04 in about 2 years and did on Friday and boy, did it take off fast and 2 days later, most of the krausen dropped and it's almost silent. I haven't checked the gravity yet and won't for another week but my memory of this yeast from last use was that it took a while to start and wasn't as fast. Maybe it was a smaller beer but for those S-04 users, what do you usually see?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: S-04 fast?

Post by Whamolagan »

I use s-04 all the time and it always takes off fast and seems to end quickly, as for krausen I wouldn't know, I ferment in SS. After 7 days, I raise the temps from 68 up to 72 for 4 days, then cold crash for 2 days. I don't start to check the numbers until the 10th day. I have noticed that before I started oxygenating the wort, the 04 was slower to take off, but I have seen it take off 18-24 hours after pitching. I use it exclusively in my cream ales, and am thinking about using it in my blonde. I like the fruit notes it brings.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I did oxygenate though not that long.
Its sitting at 66 and I jack it up to 68 to dry Hop (none for this beer) then check gravity then crash.
Oddly the 001 brewed may Monday is still going.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I ferment at 68, and use a 5 micron oxygen wand. How big of a batch is this?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

6 gallons (well, came out to 5.75ish). Took the blow off tube off and put on the airlock and there's still regular activity. It's not that I'm concerned there's something wrong, I know it's fine, just been using 95% liquid yeast and my memories of dry yeast, especially 04, make me think it was slow and long.
I like most of my yeast at 65-66 though I think 04 might be better higher for most beers since it will give off fruitier esters but for a brown, I think 65-66 is better. Just my personal opinion.
I have beer!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Do you hydrate your dry yeast? Oh yeah nothing wrong with aggressive fast ferment, but one must remember that there is a lot going on during attenuation. And yeah BEER.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yes, I did rehydrate though usually I don't.
I'm still gonna let this sit the normal amount of time no matter when it's done. That just works better for my schedule.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

This is what happens when you have your water treatment, mash Ph levels and oxygenated wort where they need to be. I know that I can probably pull my Brown using the S-04 after a week but I let all of my beers go 16-18 days just to let them clean up after that feeding frenzy. I let this yeast go mostly 66-68 the whole time. Since I started water treatment and adjusting Ph, it does not matter whether it is liquid, dry or rehydrated dry, most everything I brew now takes off in the 8-10 hour range. Sounds like it is on track to be a good brew ;)
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm sure it's fine and have no worries.
Just odd that it's almost done and the beer I brewed 4 days earlier is still chugging along, though finally slowing down. Maybe my airlock needs an oil change!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I use to brew an Ordinary Bitter with S-04 and I could brew it, ferment it out, clear and have it ready for bottling after 1 week. It has always been a fast working yeast. I really like how fast and well it clears. I have always used it around 66*. There is a distinct character from S-04, some love it, some hate it. It's a very "bready" yeast, not like bread crust with certain malts, but like raw bread dough along with some tart/fruity esters. Fermentation temp seems to effect that differently.

What kind of beer was it?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

A brown ale. This morning it looks like it's done.
But that 001 from 1 week ago is still doing some gurgling. I'll check gravity on both this weekend.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Madbrewer wrote:I use to brew an Ordinary Bitter with S-04 and I could brew it, ferment it out, clear and have it ready for bottling after 1 week. It has always been a fast working yeast. I really like how fast and well it clears. I have always used it around 66*. There is a distinct character from S-04, some love it, some hate it. It's a very "bready" yeast, not like bread crust with certain malts, but like raw bread dough along with some tart/fruity esters. Fermentation temp seems to effect that differently.

What kind of beer was it?
Beer-lord wrote:A brown ale. This morning it looks like it's done.
But that 001 from 1 week ago is still doing some gurgling. I'll check gravity on both this weekend.
I haven't used S-04 in a while, because for most of the beers I brew, I like a cleaner fermenting yeast, but I think the bread character is a great choice for a brown ale (and a reason I should reconsider using S-04 when I brew those). One thing I remember about S-04 is how flocculant it is. As I recall, the trub it produced was so compact that I had to practically power-wash to get it all out, even without cold crashing.