Yuenling Clone

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Yuenling Clone

Post by MadBrewer »

It's time to brew up some lagers. This is a recipe I have brewed several times, only thing I did differently with this batch is I bumped up the batch size to 6 gals without making any changes to the grist. I don't look at it as a clone, it's actually pretty close but it's a good beer on it's own. It's kind of in between an Oktoberfest and a Negra Modelo, it has some nice hints of caramel and the malty munich comes through but is still crisp and easy drinking. The hop schedule may look busy but it's not nearly as hoppy as it looks. Hops will be present, just there to give some balance all the way around. It actually calls for Cascade hops along with the Cluster but the LHBS was out, having used Crystal recently in a couple batches of Kolsch and Altbier, I really liked the Crystal hops and figured they would go well in this. I did have some troubles this morning but I corrected on the fly and the beer should be fine...I'm a little rusty, but it was nice to get in a brew session.

Amber Lager
American Premium Lager

Batch Size (G): 6.0
Total Grain (lb): 10.250
Total Hops (oz): 2.50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 15.0
Bitterness (IBU): 27.7 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 76
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 lb American 2-Row (58.54%)
2.000 lb Flaked Corn (19.51%)
1.000 lb Munich I (9.76%)
0.500 lb Caramunich I (4.88%)
0.500 lb Crystal 40 (4.88%)
0.250 lb Carapils (Dextrine) (2.44%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.75 oz Cluster Pellet (7.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
0.25 oz Crystal Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
0.25 oz Cluster Pellet (7.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
0.25 oz Crystal Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
0.25 oz Cluster Pellet (7.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
0.25 oz Crystal Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
0.25 oz Cluster Pellet (7.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
0.25 oz Crystal Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Single step Infusion at ~148°F for 90 Minutes.
Ferment at 50°F with Saflager W-34/70

Recipe Generated with BrewMate.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Yuenling Clone

Post by Inkleg »

Looks tasty! :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

It does look good. A nice simple amber lager.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Forgot to mention this is my first time using Saflager 34/70. I know it's the same as the Wyeast Bohemian Lager strain that I have used several times. What have you guys thought about the 34/70? I pitched around 52* and it's been fermenting around the same. I had small clusters of yeast starting within 24 hrs of pitching and krausen soon after that which I thought was pretty good for a dry lager yeast.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I like 34/70. And FWIW, it seems to make good lager even fermented in the low-mid 60s. BigPapaG did it, said it worked good for him, so I tried last year and it worked nicely for me too. I did still pitch at lager rates, even though I fermented warmer that time. I don't remember if BigPapaG pitched at lager rates or not when he did it.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Started the ramp up today as I noticed krausen has fallen since yesterday. It's going to sit at room temp for a few days then back to the fermentation freezer for a cold crash. Pulled a shot glass sample, didn't detect any diacetyl or other off flavors and it actually tastes pretty good. The ramp up will help and just something I do with Ales and Lagers.

I still have some Cluster, I have dry hopped this beer in the past with a small amount of Cluster and Cascade. I might use them up with a dry hop addition.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Got a recipe for Yuenling's Lord Chesterfield ale?
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

HerbMeowing wrote:Got a recipe for Yuenling's Lord Chesterfield ale?
No, never had it Herb. I live in the Midwest, Yuengling is hard to come by. I have a friend that goes back home to Ohio a couple times a year and brings me back cases of the Lager. Wish I could get my hands on more of their stuff.
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

HerbMeowing wrote:Got a recipe for Yuenling's Lord Chesterfield ale?
oh sweet jeebuz Herb, I hope not!

I am a Yuengling fanboy for sure, but that is the ONE that I can't stand. always tastes harsh and bitter for the sake of being harsh and bitter. give me a Lager or their porter any day of the week. and their summer wheat is excellent too

but as far as this recipe goes, I am interested in what you think about it when it is ready. I have used 34/70 exclusively for lagers, and I feel that it isn't working for me anymore. not getting it to finish as "crisp" as I want it to, and I can't figure out why. typically I would "set it and forget it" at like 55-ish degrees and let it run for 3 weeks. I am getting a ferm chamber soon so I can ramp up then, but in the past I have heard that just plain old time in the fermenter should do the trick. and I feel like it USED to, but that is probably just me

what flavor profile do you expect from this hop combo? can't wait to hear!
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

natural320 wrote:
HerbMeowing wrote: I have used 34/70 exclusively for lagers, and I feel that it isn't working for me anymore. not getting it to finish as "crisp" as I want it to, and I can't figure out why.
Wonder if it's water profile perhaps?

Maybe try a Kolsch yeast as a lager alternative and see what you think of that?
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

mashani wrote:I like 34/70. And FWIW, it seems to make good lager even fermented in the low-mid 60s. BigPapaG did it, said it worked good for him, so I tried last year and it worked nicely for me too. I did still pitch at lager rates, even though I fermented warmer that time. I don't remember if BigPapaG pitched at lager rates or not when he did it.
I alway try to pitch lager yeast at lager rates... That usually means about twice that of what would be required for the same volume/gravity if pitched with ale yeast.

Regarding temperature, I have run 34/70 as high as the low 70's... It gets a lot fruitier and a bit different up that high... Better results occur in the low to mid 60's...

I suspect neither to be as crisp as when fermented in the mid to mid-high 50's though... However I cannot currently hold temps that low except in mid winter in my basement, but since it is an old, unfinished basement, I no longer ferment there... When I did, I had not used 34/70 so I have no frame of reference for the more normal recommended temps for that strain.

:cool:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

natural320 wrote:But as far as this recipe goes, I am interested in what you think about it when it is ready. I have used 34/70 exclusively for lagers, and I feel that it isn't working for me anymore. not getting it to finish as "crisp" as I want it to, and I can't figure out why. typically I would "set it and forget it" at like 55-ish degrees and let it run for 3 weeks. I am getting a ferm chamber soon so I can ramp up then, but in the past I have heard that just plain old time in the fermenter should do the trick. and I feel like it USED to, but that is probably just me

what flavor profile do you expect from this hop combo? can't wait to hear!
This is my first time using the 34/70 but as far as I understand it is the same as the Bohemian Lager strain which I have used a lot. I get what you are saying about the crisp finish. For me it's a very malty, fuller bodied finish. It's very round, more mouthfeel. It still finishes clean and I can say crisp, but not as crisp as others. I have found I need to keep the mash temp low if I want a beer to have a lighter, crisper body. So I mash 148-150*. You might want to try a low mash temp and look at the recipe to lighten the body. Might want to try lower lager temp too, say 50* or even 48*. It just might take longer to take off and finish out, but no doubt it can take a lower fermentation temp.

As far as the hops in this beer, all I know about Yuengling Lager is they use a mix of Cluster and Cascade hops and I have done that in the past batches. This time around the LHBS was out of Cascade, so Crystal hops it was. The hop character isn't that promenent, but it's there just for a hint of flavor and aroma, so I think you could use just about anything to give it that.
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

@mashani - I am thinking that it could be the water. but I have gotten similar results in PA and here in TX. might have to bite the bullet and figure out some water chemistry! I was also thinking of trying the Ayinger lager strain. I don't recall if wyeast has it, but I am pretty sure it is labeled "german bock" at white labs. or the Mexican lager stain. I have heard very positive things about that one too

@Ken the madbrewer - the malty full body I thought was an exception, not the norm...but maybe I have been mistaken all this time! haha it is just so easy to dump in a packet of 34/70, knowing that a TON of beers are already made with it, and here I am surprised when it isn't "quite" what I want it to be. I typically mash in the low 150s, but I just might give it another go using the 148. I just can't help but recall my multiple visits to Germany, and having none of the lagers be as malty/full as my homebrew version...inculding Weihenstephaner's own brew. BUT, their water in Munich is dramatically different I am sure, and they have a little head start in brewing experience!
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I kegged this up last night. It cold crashed for a few days where I also added Gelatin, which I normally do not do for my beers but this was for a friend that requested this be ready by Thanksgiving. They will be having friends and family over from Ohio where they all have had and like to drink Yuengling. So, while this was not rushed, I did push this batch through quicker than most lagers. It cleared well, tastes pretty good and I gave it a little crank and shake last night and turned down the psi this morning, should be good to go in a few more days. I bottled up a 6 pack for myself, this will be the first time I tried to bottle condition after a cold crash and gelatin combined...so we will see how those turn out.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have yet to do a lager, but I plan one this winter. I'm interested in your results.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.