Yuenling Clone

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Yuenling Clone

Post by RayF »

Yuengling is my go to brew when I'm out and about at the local bars(very little craft on tap out here in suburban Pennsyltucky. I brewed a beer 3-4 times that was suppose to be a yuengling clone but it always seemed to come out more like a Boston Lager. I'll be anxious to see how yours turns out.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Hey Ray, didnt we do a Yuengling clone swap a while back. From what I remember, both of ours were pretty close.

Ill do a side by side for those interested. Its kegged and carbonating now. I also bottl3s a few bottles to see how they bottle condotion after cold crashing and using gelatin...you know quality control.
Brew Strong My Friends...
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

I believe I sent you my version. You sent me a few beers but I don't think it was a YuengLing clone. If mrbfans was still online I'd remember what they were. I do remember you also sent a couple of local crafts from your neck of the woods.
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

I know I would be interested in a side by side! its lack of availability in Texas just makes me miss it more
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Hey Kenny,

Received my last component for my brew system for Christmas! :) I'm ready to get my brew on to try out the new counter flow chiller. I have been eyeing up your version of Yuengling. Although the version I have brewed in the past was good, it wasn't close enough for me. I'm going to give your version a try and see what I come up with.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

I should read before I write! Hahahaha! Your recipe is almost exactly like the one I have brewed a bunch of times. Now that I think of it, I believe you and PSUChunk helped me with that recipe!!! Hahaha

Smoke another one, Ray!!!
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

No worries Ray. I remeber your version being just as good. We did do a swap, but cant pull it up on MBF's. Keep me posted on that brew. This last batch of Yuengling clone wasnt as close as I have come in the past. I would have to look back at my notes if you wanted me to and I could post that recipe. This last version was good, but quite a bit more hop forward. Color was also lighter and didnt have quite that Caramel sweetness. Minor factors but it makes a difference with a beer like this. Those things make it what it is.

The mix of cascade and cluster seem to really do for the hop character. I always used the Bohemian Lager strain so I cant comment on any other yeast. And I like a mix of Caramel malt and Caramunich for that roudness that Yuengling has.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

It's been a little while for this one but Yuengling Clone going into the fermenter yesterday.

65% 2 Row
15% Flaked Corn
10% Munich
10% Caramunich
Step Mash 148* 40 min, 163* 30, 170* 10.
Mix of Cluster/Cascade throughout the boil.
Diamond Lager yeast (LHBS is out of a lot).

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Updating this for myself as well. This came out pretty nice. I think 10% Caramunich is just a bit over the top, I like a blend of 5% each Caramunich and Crystal or I can try a lower Lovibond Caramunich, I think this was III. It was also a bit hoppier than usual, so between the maltiness and the hoppyness, just a bit over the top out of range but still a great tasting beer. Diamond Lager is a very decent dry lager yeast but I think I prefer 34/70 for something like this. Diamond might be better for an O-Fest, Bock, etc. A few more Lagers to come.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

HerbMeowing wrote:Got a recipe for Yuenling's Lord Chesterfield ale?
This is the Lord Chesterfield clone I found a number of years ago and that I brewed many moons ago. It's been a long time since Chesty was in our market (we still get the normal stuff (yuenger, light, porter, half/half, etc), though I haven't had it in ages either, as IMHO Yuenger is kinda meh... but to each his own...), so I can't really remember if this was close, but the site I pulled it from had it reviewed well... I always questioned the yeast choice on this clone, as Chesty is an ale and they list a lager yeast, so I definitely don't trust that this is a great translation, but... I imagine a clean ale yeast would be a good sub-out here.

5 gallon

10 lbs 2 row Malt
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40l
.5 lb Carapils Malt
Cascade Hop Pellets (3AAU) 15 minutes
Cascade Hop Pellets (3AAU) Flame out
Cluster Hop Pellets (6.8 AAU) 60 minutes
1 White Labs American Lager Yeast 840
1 Teaspoon Irish Moss
1 Cup Corn Syrup
OG- 1.054
FG- 1.013
ABV- 5.7%
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...