Re: Malted Purple Corn

Post by Whamolagan »

I live in california.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:I finally got the malted corn cleaned.

With barley and other grains it is fairly easy to clean off the small roots by rubbing them on a screen. The roots on the corn are tougher. I went through kernel by kernel and picked off the roots. I did the first half about a week ago and it was so tedious that it wasn't until now that I finally did the second half. I now have 4 lbs 14 oz of malted purple corn. I started with a 5 lb bag, however I did not weigh it on my scale so I don't know what the true difference is.

I have the malted corn split into two 1 gallon zip lock bags. There is a slight sourness to the aroma now. That means my drying should have gone a bit longer. But a bit of sourness is really fine for making a Chicha. I just need to brew it fairly soon.

I'll start a new thread in the brewing section when I brew it. Hopefully in a few days.
Since that sounds like a total PITA, what harm occurs if you just leave the roots on and dry it that way? Maybe they are easier to get off once dried?

And/or do they cause any harm if you just crush it and mash it with them intact?
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:Since that sounds like a total PITA, what harm occurs if you just leave the roots on and dry it that way? Maybe they are easier to get off once dried?

And/or do they cause any harm if you just crush it and mash it with them intact?
I treated the corn the same as barley or other grains. It was dried first.
My understanding is that in the case of barley there would be an unwanted odd flavor addition if the roots are not discarded. Every home malting tutorial mentions some way to get rid of the roots after drying. I cleaned the roots off the dried malted corn just because I would do it with barley. I would find it hard to believe a moon shiner would go to much trouble to clean his malted corn but in that case it would be distilled. Perhaps the roots would not be cleaned off for chicha. I will have to look closer at some of the chicha info I found.