Here's how I BIAB

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Here's how I BIAB

Post by Tabasco »

Probably nothing new, but I brought my camera into the brew room a few batches ago.

http://tyoung.org/biab.html
christler

Re: Here's how I BIAB

Post by christler »

Nice! I've been doing biab for about a year now and I always like to see how others do it. I live that there isn't a ” right way” you just do what works for you. I might have to try your sparging method. I do a cold water dunk sparge but winner if I'd get better eff with that method
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I love your hop spider! :D I believe in the KISS principle as well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Nice writeup! Always good to see how others get to the same result...BEER!

:give:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

I find my 20qt pot works great for LBK size BIAB batches.

I just need to get my butt back in the swing of things and get my pipe-line going again, fall temps mean nice outside BIAB season
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Thanks Tabasco!
That looks alot like my procedure except I do 5 gal batches in a 7.5 gal pot and do three sparges with big ol' squeezes at the end! Last I do a cold water rinse to get my boil volume, if needed!
Love the hops spider, because I thought I was the only one that got "creative" with the clothes hangers! :p
Now I just clothes pin the edge of my hops bag over the edge of the pot to the handle and it's very easy to lift the front edge and pour the hops in!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

And another beer topic gets added to my Google bar.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

teutonic terror wrote:Thanks Tabasco!
That looks alot like my procedure except I do 5 gal batches in a 7.5 gal pot and do three sparges with big ol' squeezes at the end! Last I do a cold water rinse to get my boil volume, if needed!
Love the hops spider, because I thought I was the only one that got "creative" with the clothes hangers! :p
Now I just clothes pin the edge of my hops bag over the edge of the pot to the handle and it's very easy to lift the front edge and pour the hops in!
Ok, you do full volume boils. I can't do that indoors with my induction burner .... but the induction burner is an option. You're using propane, right?
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Well brewed sir, well brewed!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

Thanks for posting. I love to see how other people brew and I believe that someone else said that the KISS principle is the best. As you'll heard I did my first the other day and stressed most of the time. Enjoy hearing that brewing is "simpler" than we make it out to be at times. Love your engineering and will definitely look at doing similar things in the future.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Tabasco wrote:
Ok, you do full volume boils. I can't do that indoors with my induction burner .... but the induction burner is an option. You're using propane, right?
Yes sir I am. My pitiful electric range won't even push 4 gallons to a boil for a 2.5 gallon batch.
I picked this method up from an Aussie on another brew site. He was using a colander in the bottom of the bucket to get space for the bag to drain when he squeezed it. I broke two colanders before I started using a stainless bowl in my bucket! I usually get about 74-78% efficiency.
I liked this method when I did use it and I think my next oatmeal stout will be done like this because my last one I had a terrible stuck sparge.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

teutonic terror wrote:
Tabasco wrote:
Yes sir I am. My pitiful electric range won't even push 4 gallons to a boil for a 2.5 gallon batch.
I picked this method up from an Aussie on another brew site. He was using a colander in the bottom of the bucket to get space for the bag to drain when he squeezed it. I broke two colanders before I started using a stainless bowl in my bucket! I usually get about 74-78% efficiency.
I liked this method when I did use it and I think my next oatmeal stout will be done like this because my last one I had a terrible stuck sparge.
My induction burner is just adequate ... at its limit ... doing hop boils in this 16qt pot. This is why I do partial volume boils ... as I want to keep it indoors. But the full volume you do is better. You get better hops utilization for one thing. If you're open to topping off with cold water, you could boil with less volume on that range ... but I know many are not open to this.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

I have considered, especially before I got my larger kettles, using top off water in the fermenter.
I saw no difference in this or Mr Beer.

To me though, it looked too easy to miscalculate my wort volume and end up with watered down beer.
As far as the range goes, if I do a long boil on it, it takes forever for the top to cool down and I really don't trust it.

I've just found it simpler to get my boil volumes, using BrewSmith most of the time, and sit next to a practically full kettle with my hand on the gas regulator and my spray bottle at the ready! :D
It cost me a little more for equipment but I'm more comfortable with the procedure in case something does go wrong.
Plus, I love sitting outdoors, listening to something good on the radio and cooking a good homebrew. :cheers:
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

That was one of the best and most informative posts I have read in a long time.

Thanks for taking the time to snap those shots and then post them up.

Awesome.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Very nice photos. I'm also resisting outdoor brewing, and also use a 16 quart pot. You have a good system going there. Thanks for sharing! :urock: