Getting tired of choice?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Getting tired of choice?

Post by FedoraDave »

http://www.just-drinks.com/news/craft-b ... 9-36684349

It seems silly at first glance, and I'm certainly not a marketing or economics guy, but it does make some sort of sense. Obviously, there's a finite amount of shelf space. There's also the fact that some beers just won't sell as well, and stores don't want to stock anything that's going to collect dust. And yes, sometimes too many choices creates brain-lock. It's an old standard parenting device when dealing with younger children; you want them to learn how to make choices, but saying, "What do you want for lunch" only makes them indecisive. Limiting their choice by saying, "Do you want mac and cheese or a hot dog for lunch" allows them to choose, but makes it easier to make that choice.

Anyway, that's my take.

Discuss.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Beer-lord

Re: Getting tired of choice?

Post by Beer-lord »

He describes pretty much what we've been hearing here as we talk to some of the guys who handle the beer in the small to midsize groceries and beer stores.
With the millennial's liking to have ready-made dinners and other fresh foods, more shelf space is being given to that and they don't have as much space for other things. Not only that it seems like there's a new beer coming out every few weeks.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I rarely buy craft beer in the store. There is a grocery store near us that brags about their selection, and I happen to visit this weekend when my son was in town (he was buying beer, bought the equivalent of 15 beers for $33...

Anyway, this store used to have a beer aisle with one side cooler, one side warm, and displays down the middle of the aisle. Last year they redid the whole store, and now 90% of the beer is in the coolers. It seems to me that the amount of beer they have is now less than they had before. Just my observation.

On the other hand, Meijer has increased their craft beer selection.

Based on everything I read, the next few years will yield a big fallout due to way too many craft breweries with little to distinguish themselves. The fad of putting STUFF in beer will also fade.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Here are my thoughts on a couple of things as I read the article.

First, the headline: "Craft beer consumers "tired of choice" - Anheuser-Busch InBev CEO Carlos Brito"
My thought: Of course he's going to say that. AB InBev doesn't want consumers to have a choice. The more brands that are available, the more possibility the consumer doesn't "choose" one of their brands.

Another one of his quotes: "There's only so much shelf space that you can share and cold box that you can spilt"
My thought: While this is entirely true, AB InBev will do whatever it takes to make sure they own as much of that real estate as possible. So spreading the message of doom and gloom for the craft market is in his best interest. If he can help spread that message and influence peoples thought that there is just way too much craft beer choice available, maybe they will turn to Budweiser, or interestingly enough, even one of the craft brewers they have recently acquired. All of a sudden choice in craft beer isn't such a bad thing. Just as long as the choice is one of their brands.

Another one of his quotes: "Our customers are thinking, 'how much more of an assortment can you carry?"...."a bit tired of choice and go for fewer brands"
My thought: The majority of his customers probably don't like craft beer to begin with, they drink plain old Budweiser, or Bud Light, or any of the other regular old types of beer they make. So all this choice in craft beer doesn't make sense at all to their customer, they just don't get it. His customers just don't understand all the variety of beer that can be made.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

^ What he said^
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Gang....My Dos centavos....I agree,too many choices for me.My Grocery Store has a pretty wide variety of beer. And,you can buy it almost anyway up to 144 oz. at a time. They also have six-pack carriers to fill up with singles for like 11 bucks. IF I liked each and every one of those beers,drinking a sixer a day,I'd have to live to be 148 to have tasted all of their beers. So, I'll just continue to home brew my pidley 2 gallon batches of beers I like. BUT,please don't stone me or tie me to the whipping post ,but I'm hooked on Rasberitas. There,I said it. I even tried to brew my own,but it wasn't the same,so until I get tired of them,I guess I'll be forking over my hard earned retirement money to a/b. Sorry! Cheers :redface:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Randy:

That's your first demerit.

If you like that schlock, try a Founder's Rubaeus. Had it on nitro at Founders, and I kid you not - it was almost better than sex (yes, I said ALMOST). Awesome.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Anybody who gets tired of to many beer choices can move to Utah. We don't have that problem here.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I understand BlackDuck's points, and they're very well-made.

I also understand RandyG's point of view. I buy craft beer fairly frequently, but when I do, I'm reluctant to take a chance on a brand I'm unfamiliar with. Less so with a style I'm unfamiliar with; you have to start somewhere, and I like variety. But the different brands just have me wondering. Not all Pale Ales are created equal, and I've been disappointed with certain breweries and their products. So I fall back on a brand I already know, whether it's an independent, or one of the ones owned by AB-InBev.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Gang,(he sez dodging bricks and broken bottles). Rick,I didn't have any demerits since Boot Camp.BP, its too dry in Utah. I'll have to tell you all that I like some of Sam Adams brews alot. When I buy craft beer,I sorta gravitate towards those. I'm not a fan of big "In your Face" Hop blasters.I likem Malty. Having said that, I'd trust a Sam Adams brew before drinking Joe Blow's Tripple IPA,brewed with hops grown in the Amazon jungle,and with the best yeast from Southern Bulgaria,blah blah etc.We've all seen the myriad of different styles,tastes that are available now. I like simplicity in my brews. BUT.....as for my consumption of the dreaded A-ritas,it's like the 4 Tops sang."I Can't Help Myself". Cheers All ! :lol:
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Great discussion, many good points made. Randy, like I tell my customers " In the end there is no right or wrong. There is only beer, and what you like." I'm right there with you on the hop bombs. I'm kind of with the Hat it's hard to throw money at a maybe. That's not to say that if I saw, say a bottle of Pliny (either of them) I wouldn't jump at the chance. However too many disappointments have led me to caution, as they say: Better the devil you know.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I'm leery of any info or opinions from Anheuser-Busch InBev, but viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6046