Trillium IWANTTOBU DOUBLE IPA (Zero IBU Beer)

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Trillium IWANTTOBU DOUBLE IPA (Zero IBU Beer)

Post by Beer-lord »

NOT MY REVIEW but I was curious about a Zero IBU beer.
I've not had any Trillium beers but they seem to be the 'juicy' rage now.

PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Trillium IWANTTOBU DOUBLE IPA (Zero IBU Beer)

Post by mashani »

I doubt it really is no bittering compounds. If they added any hops (or hop hash), even at knockout/whirlpool temps there are some. And they say it has "a large whirlpool addition of El Dorado, Simcoe, Citra and Citra Lupulin Powder".

So it might only be a little bit, but it only takes a little bit to not make something disgustingly sweet. You can't detect the bitterness from 7 IBUs in a 1.05 beer, but 7 IBUs is enough to balance a 1.05 beer into the realm of "it's tastes good", vs. "it tastes like sugar water". It looks like they used plenty of sugar in it and dextrin to build up the body without adding any sweetness... those things brings the 1.08 effective gravity down to something much lower then a real 1.08 beer as far as what is needed to balanced the beer.

The 0 IBUs claim probably comes from the idea that you need to actually boil the hops to get isomerized (stable) bittering compounds, but I can say for sure that that concept is crap based on long hopstands @flamout temps... I get plenty of extra bitter from that and it doesn't fade. It's not harsh bitter, but it does balance the beer.

So unless they took it to a lab and actually measured that it has no bittering compounds, I say "Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!"

All that said, I would probably like the beer how it is described.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Trillium IWANTTOBU DOUBLE IPA (Zero IBU Beer)

Post by Whamolagan »

Isn't that called ZIMA