ezBrewingWater-RO©

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

ezBrewingWater-RO©

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

In my never ending quest, to make brewing water chemistry easier to use for the common man, I present to you ezBrewingWater-RO©.

The motivation for creating yet another water chemistry calculator was to simplify the process as much as possible, by limiting the source water used to just reverse osmosis or distilled water. Sorry, but if you believe in the accuracy of your local water reports, or you are adverse to buying RO or distilled water, then ezRO may not be for you.

But if you like accuracy, and ease of use in your brewing water calculator, then I encourage you to take ezRO out for a test drive. See for yourself how well it stacks up against it's predecessors, you will be amazed how easy it is to setup and use, even for a water profile novice.
ezRO-1a.jpg
ezRO-1a.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Click here to download ezBrewingWater-RO©
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: ezBrewingWater-RO©

Post by Beer-lord »

Awesome! Thanks for this. I'll play with this for next week's brewday and see how it compares to the others I use.
May I ask how this compares to EZ Water and Bru'n Water (if you've used them) regarding the calculations? Not that I understand those but I've had mixed results.
Really appreciate you sharing this!!!!!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Vince, I matched your nifty program with EZWater and Bru'n Water and yours and EZ are almost dead on. Brun' water is off quite a bit but the last few beers I made, Bru'n Water didn't match up with my actual PH and I prefer EZ Water. Yours is so much easier to use. Fast and it appears, accurate.
I'll let you know how it goes next Friday.
Thanks again.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:Vince, I matched your nifty program with EZWater and Bru'n Water and yours and EZ are almost dead on. Brun' water is off quite a bit but the last few beers I made, Bru'n Water didn't match up with my actual PH and I prefer EZ Water. Yours is so much easier to use. Fast and it appears, accurate.
I'll let you know how it goes next Friday.
Thanks again.
You are most certainly welcome. The changes included in ezRO are a compilation of experimental data provided by Kai Troester and conversations that I had with A.J. deLange regarding the DI pH values of different grains. I have used Bru'n Water, ezWaterCalculator, Kaizer Water Calculator (see Brewer's Friend), Palmer's Water Adjustment Calculator and a few others. I have found that the main differences, dismissing discrepancies due to rounding of numbers, between most of the calculators out there have to due with the way they compute the DI pH values of the grains used in a recipe.

I think the more you get to play around with ezRO the more you will appreciate what it is capable of, like averaging the DI pH of the total grain bill and displaying the percentages of each grain entered. It is both powerful and very easy to use, a win/win for every homebrewer interested in getting the most out of their brewing water.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

How close have you found your version to your actual mash ph? And, I know you posted it, but please tell me again what brand/model of meter you have.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Great, I'll take a look at it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:How close have you found your version to your actual mash ph? And, I know you posted it, but please tell me again what brand/model of meter you have.
I bought the HI98121 Combo tester, a bit pricey at the time but the meter has proved to be worth it. The pH bulb, through my own fault, was allowed to dry out making it impossible to get an accurate reading. After ordering a new bulb, some cleaner and fresh storage solution the meter is as good as new again.
ph-1a-sml.jpg
ph-1a-sml.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
HANNA INSTRUMENTS HI98121 PH/Orp Tester Combo

This release calculates pH by averaging the DI pH values of every grain that is entered. It supports grain name and DI pH value changes, so that you can enter your favorite grain type and assign it your own favorite DI pH value. Recently I conducted DI pH test of my own by finely grinding 40 grams of Briess Specialty Malt and mixing it into 100 milliliters of 125F RO water. After mashing the grains for 20 minutes at 122F, I cooled a wort sample to 77F and took a pH reading. Using a pH meter, recently calibrated in the 4.01 to 7.01 range, the test sample had a pH reading of 4.58. That was 0.13 lower than the generic 4.71 DI pH value listed for 'Roasted Malt'.

accurate as compared against Brewer's Friend and ezWaterCalculator. based on the information that is fed into it.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The actual pH of today's strike water after adding in brewing salts and acid read 6.20. When entering the grain bill and target water properties into ezBrewingWater-RO, the calculated mash pH was 5.39. The pH meter had just been calibrated, the water and wort temperatures were both at 77F when all pH readings were recorded. Yet there was a difference of pH .81 between the strike water pH and the calculated mash pH.
CH-6a-sml.jpg
CH-6a-sml.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
So as it turned out in the end, the grain came to the rescue by adding enough acid to bring the mash pH down to 5.39, just as ezBrewingWater-RO had predicted. The wort OG was 1.063, about a .05 higher than I had hoped for and the beautiful brown color of the wort just says drink me all day long. I had such an enjoyable brew day today, I just wanted to share it with you too.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Awesome Vince. Looks as perfect as could be. I'm sure it will turn out just as you wanted. Please let us know when you get to enjoy this beer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

At a glance, it seems this is geared for BIAB or no sparge brewing?
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:At a glance, it seems this is geared for BIAB or no sparge brewing?
I wouldn't think so. Since the inputs to ezBrewingWater-RO© are grain type, weight and water volume the calculations should be the same for single vessel to three tier brewing systems.

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Vince, have you tested this in Google Sheets? It looks like it should work but I'm getting a few errors. Not sure how much it would take for you to get this working in Google but it might be nice to have it available as an online app this way.
exBrewingWater_Ggle_Sheets.jpeg
exBrewingWater_Ggle_Sheets.jpeg (658.99 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

LouieMacGoo wrote:Vince, have you tested this in Google Sheets? It looks like it should work but I'm getting a few errors. Not sure how much it would take for you to get this working in Google but it might be nice to have it available as an online app this way.
I have tested it on Google Sheets and it is not compatible with it, it does not work with OfficeLibre either as I found out from someone this morning. Unfortunately I currently do not have any plans, or more importantly the time, to re-code ezBrewingWater-RO© so that it will support those platforms.

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:Vince, have you tested this in Google Sheets? It looks like it should work but I'm getting a few errors. Not sure how much it would take for you to get this working in Google but it might be nice to have it available as an online app this way.
I have tested it on Google Sheets and it is not compatible with it, it does not work with OfficeLibre either as I found out from someone this morning. Unfortunately I currently do not have any plans, or more importantly the time, to re-code ezBrewingWater-RO© so that it will support those platforms.
Understandable, I was just wondering.

Nice job on this tool by the way. I appreciate you sharing your work with everyone. :urock:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It's pretty much the simplest calculator for water treatment out there. Of course if you're not using distilled or RO water, then this version won't help you but for those of us that do, it's much quicker. And while I've yet to use it (will test it this Friday) I have no doubt that it's accurate.
Vince, you should put it up for donation somewhere. I'd gladly donate for using this.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black