ezBrewingWater-RO©

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: ezBrewingWater-RO©

Post by MadBrewer »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
MadBrewer wrote:At a glance, it seems this is geared for BIAB or no sparge brewing?
I wouldn't think so. Since the inputs to ezBrewingWater-RO© are grain type, weight and water volume the calculations should be the same for single vessel to three tier brewing systems.
I see. Im just used to seeing inputs for both mash and sparge water volumes. I could use this but would have to basically work through it again for my sparge additions to get the target water profile? Unless Im missing something, again only glanced it over this morning before work.

I have also found EZ Water calculator to not be fully accurate. Its off by .1 points meaning the difference between an estimated mash ph of 5.4 and an atual reading of say 5.5. Bru'n Water for me has been much more accurate and reliable. For those that find niether program reliable I wonder if those brewers are BIAB or other forms of no sparge brewers since both programs indicate they get less reliable with thinner mashes like those used in BIAB. Seems like Screwy has made those adjustments to make this work well for those brewers.

Nice job with it.
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:
MadBrewer wrote:At a glance, it seems this is geared for BIAB or no sparge brewing?
I wouldn't think so. Since the inputs to ezBrewingWater-RO© are grain type, weight and water volume the calculations should be the same for single vessel to three tier brewing systems.
I see. Im just used to seeing inputs for both mash and sparge water volumes. I could use this but would have to basically work through it again for my sparge additions to get the target water profile? Unless Im missing something, again only glanced it over this morning before work.

I have also found EZ Water calculator to not be fully accurate. Its off by .1 points meaning the difference between an estimated mash ph of 5.4 and an atual reading of say 5.5. Bru'n Water for me has been much more accurate and reliable. For those that find niether program reliable I wonder if those brewers are BIAB or other forms of no sparge brewers since both programs indicate they get less reliable with thinner mashes like those used in BIAB. Seems like Screwy has made those adjustments to make this work well for those brewers.

Nice job with it.
Thank you for the compliment, it is very much appreciated. Play around with the water volume setting in ezBrewingWater-RO© some. The difference in pH, between using a volume of 15 gallons, the combined mash and sparge water volume, as opposed to using only the mash volume of 12.5 gallons, is less than 0.02 pH. Look at the DI pH values of the grains used in your recipe, if they differ much from the default DI pH values in EZ Water calculator that would easily explain the 0.10 pH difference that you mention. Bru'n Water relies on calculating the grain colors to estimate the pH value of the mash, which may explain the differences users have raised. The mash thickness of yesterday's brew was 2.22 qt/lb, a lot thinner than I was used to seeing in my infusion mashing days. But admittedly the thinner mashes that I encountered when doing BIAB were responsible for my looking into mash pH in the first place.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

MadBrewer wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:

Nice job with it.
I'm a BIABer and have had problems with accuracy with both EZWater and Bru'n Water though I've found EZWater to be a bit closer for me. I'm still learning but other than one brew out of the last 7 being far off, I'm close and the results have also been good.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I think Vince needs to come to Asheville, this sounds like it would be a great a dinner discussion one evening!
:idea:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:I think Vince needs to come to Asheville, this sounds like it would be a great a dinner discussion one evening!
Can someone PM me more information about the Ashville get together, I am interested in visiting with you all if the dates work out?

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Vince....You can Check This Thread for the basic info.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
Dawg LB Steve wrote:I think Vince needs to come to Asheville, this sounds like it would be a great a dinner discussion one evening!
Can someone PM me more information about the Ashville get together, I am interested in visiting with you all if the dates work out?
Done! So far we have committed, well most of us should be anyway, Myself and Wife, Blackduck, BeerLord, RedBeered(possibly Wife) , Inkleg and Wife, Swenocha and two of his local homebrew friends. Possibles are Kelia and Mashani that I know of.

The more the merrier!
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thank you both Steve and Paul, it looks like those dates might actually work out for me. My wife and I were planning a visit her sister in Mt. Pleasant SC around that time, and Ashville is kinda sorta on the way :grin. So far the plan is to drive down, so expect to sample some brewed in New Jersey beers when I get there! Thank you again for extending an invitation to come down and visit with everyone.

BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Vince, that's great news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

That would be great Vince! Rumor has it that there may be 2 mystery guests also. :whistle:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Looking forward to meeting you in person and picking your brain on the water treatment, Vince. I think I'm close but every little positive adjustment has produced a better beer.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Looking forward to meeting you in person and picking your brain on the water treatment, Vince. I think I'm close but every little positive adjustment has produced a better beer.
:cheers:
I am very excited and looking forward to finally getting to meet up and share beers and ideas with you too. We've narrowed down a few hotels in the area and started plotting our course for the drive, this is going to be awesome.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Let me know what days you plan to be there and times (a PM is fine or you may still have my email address) and I'll add you to the tours I am trying to set up. I hope to know more in early January as for the dates and times.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Vince, I hope your schedule allows you to be in Asheville on Sunday. We have quite a good time eating and drinking during the Super Bowl at the house. Everyone pitches in and prepares some sort of dish to share (think heavy appetizers). It's a great time and having you and your wife join will make it even better!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

BlackDuck wrote:Vince, I hope your schedule allows you to be in Asheville on Sunday. We have quite a good time eating and drinking during the Super Bowl at the house. Everyone pitches in and prepares some sort of dish to share (think heavy appetizers). It's a great time and having you and your wife join will make it even better!!!
Yes they do, we plan to head east from Asheville to SC on Monday morning, so we will be there for the big game. In all fairness to everyone, I know as much about sports as Budweiser knows about making flavorful beer, but I will enjoy the watching the game.