CaraRye question

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

CaraRye question

Post by alb »

Hey, boys and girls - I've got a recipe for a Rye IPA that uses Weyermann CaraRye. I can buy the grain easily enough, but it's not listed in my recipe software. Is there something else I can either buy or just plug into the software that will give me similar results data? I looked on some substitution charts and there wasn't anything listed to sub for it.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Re: CaraRye question

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm not home and in front of computer now but have you installed (added) all the grain updates to beersmith? If you go to their site it lists the updates and explains how to update the ingredients.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

There is no "flavor" substitute.

If you have 70L (or whatever is close) crystal malt as a choice, that will get your gravity and SRM numbers to about the right place if all you want to do is plug something into your software as place holder but are buying the real thing...
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Thanks, it turns out the software has it listed under "other grains," not with the other Crystal or caramels. I don't know why.
Since I primarily do my AG in the Zymatic, I have to use their software so the recipe will sync. It's actually pretty comprehensive but every once in awhile I run into a glitch.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.