BrewDemon Mead recipes? Anyone want to share one with us?

Recipes based on BrewDemon Extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mookiex4

BrewDemon Mead recipes? Anyone want to share one with us?

Post by mookiex4 »

Hi all,

I was thinking of using my BrewDemon fermenter to knock out a couple of gallons of Mead, but cannot seem to find a suitable recipe. Can anyone help by adding some here for me and anyone else that is pondering such and experiment?

Thank you all in Advance.

Mookie :fedora: :beer:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: BrewDemon Mead recipes? Anyone want to share one with us

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I am contemplating a cherry mead, did a search a on google and came up with a couple simple n easy recipes. Not near the printouts till later this evening though.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
EvolvingCaveman

Post by EvolvingCaveman »

This is good one that came from Joe Mattioli, the same guy that did Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM) from the GotMead site.
It works well with Grape Peach, Grape Black Cherry, etc. Just stay away from the ones that are labeled "Cocktail".
This is for one gallon just multiple by 2. Here it is:

Quick Grape Mead (drinkable in 5 weeks)
Just finished bottling my first Grape Mead (Melomel) or Pyment whatever one wishes to call it and it was started on November 4th and is simply wonderful to drink already.
It was ready in 5 weeks! Thought I would share my recipe with you as it is the youngest best tasting, quick mead I have had thus far. Too bad I only made 1 gallon experimenting.
2 lbs Clover honey
1 oz buckwheat honey
1/8t Pectin Enzymes (I used but on second thought I probably didn't need since Welch's is already clear)
64-oz Welch's Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (Absorbic Acid)
Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
Lalvin EC-1118

It will ferment super fast to dry (about 13% alcohol) because of type of yeast and all the nutrients and natural sugars in Welch's grape juice. It should be to SG =1.000 or less in 14- 21 days max. Rack to clean carboy over mixture of 6 oz honey, 6 oz Welch's grape juice,
1/2t of Sorbate and 1/2 crushed campden tablet . It will stabilize and clear fast. Let it clear and set for another 2 weeks and it will be ready to bottle and drink. It will be medium sweet but smooth and drinkable right away. If you want it semi sweet use 4-oz honey instead of 6-oz /
gal. The only reason I used the Campden (Sulphite) is because my understanding is that using both Potassium Sorbate and Sulphite together will definitely inhibit renewed fermentation and it did for me. I went with the sweeter version to please my wife and can't wait till she gets home to try it. I got 4 regular bottles and one small bottle and drank the rest. I don't usually like sweet wine but this was the fastest best so far. I'm told that most melomels don't require a lot of aging to be good and if this gets any better
with age, I'll probably never buy store bought wine again. Color is deep red, has nice legs on sides of glass after swirling, good nose and great balanced taste) Just don't tell everybody you used Welch's. I won't. Because the juice is clear to start, clearing is naturally fast, fast, fast.
Enjoy cause I am.
Regards Joe
Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light.
J.K. Rowling in the voice of Dumbledore
EvolvingCaveman

I have also taken BrewDemon's Tart Cherry Cider and substituted honey instead for the sugar.
I have not posted the recipe for it because I think next time I need to use K1v-1116 yeast because
the cider yeast struggled with the fermentation. You just take the amount of sugar required and multiple
it by 1.25 to get the amount of honey needed.
Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light.
EvolvingCaveman

I would also like to add a lot of older recipe says to add
acid blend upfront but that needs to be added after the
fermentation because honey does not have natural buffering
and the fermentation turns too acidic and the fermentation will
stall.
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Well, for a basic mead recipe, I use 4 parts water, 1 part honey, and Lalvin D47. Hope that helps.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Bad Brad wrote:Well, for a basic mead recipe, I use 4 parts water, 1 part honey, and Lalvin D47. Hope that helps.
The thread is 3 years old and there OP hasn't been here for almost 2 years.
Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

bpgreen wrote:
Bad Brad wrote:Well, for a basic mead recipe, I use 4 parts water, 1 part honey, and Lalvin D47. Hope that helps.
The thread is 3 years old and there OP hasn't been here for almost 2 years.
I know. I just thought I’d toss it out there if anyone else was curious.