Sierra Nevada: Tropical Torpedo

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Sierra Nevada: Tropical Torpedo

Post by Kealia »

It looks like our friends over at SN have a new IPA hitting the shelves soon (at least here in CA).

I'll admit I'm not the biggest SN fan (I find their stuff to all taste similar, but always "good" not "great"), but I will track this down and try one - just for you guys. Yeah, that's how I roll :whistle:

Here's their description:
Inspired by the island life, we created an IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. We used our one-of-a-kind Hop Torpedo to deliver an intense rush of hop flavor and the lush aromas of mango, papaya, and passionfruit with every sip. Enjoy our tropical twist on the American IPA.
Not a lot to work with, but the description sounds like the IPAs that I like to drink.

We'll see.
Beer-lord

Re: Sierra Nevada: Tropical Torpedo

Post by Beer-lord »

I've seen it here too but haven't gotten it. Like you, I like their beers but rarely are they extraordinary though I do really like Celebration and Torpedo so hopefully, these are good.
I've read some use the term 'juicy' which I have been seeing as East Coast IPA-ish. Cloudy and juicy are the terms I hear often for that style so maybe they're getting one out to match that. Our semi-local Parish Brewery has changed the yeast and some hops to all their beers in the last month and some are using the term juicy as well.

I'll await your roving reporter opinion.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Interesting...when I hear "juicy" I think of tropical fruits, JuicyFruit gum, and things like that in terms of aroma - not appearance. I'm starting to see "East Coast Style IPA" on some beers out here on tap, and yeah - those are cloudy as f*** - like a hef!

Don't wait for me though - aside from my own beers, I got loaded up with 4-packs from local breweries over the past two weeks and haven;t had much to drink because of my cold so it could be a while. I still have that nitro milk stout to try, too! (What?!?! Yes, you all read that right)
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yeah, that juicy, turbid, dank, cloudy is what the newer modern east coast IPAs are all about (older style east coast IPAs were closer to English IPAs), and now it seems all of the breweries are getting into the act. If you are on the east coast, Tree House, Trillium, and Alchemist are great examples. We have some great beers of this style coming out of Nashville now, with Mantra's Big Juicy Dank, Bearded Iris' Scatterbrain and Homestyle, and several from Southern Grist (BroCoNut, Mixed Greens, [Insert Juicy Pun] to name a few) great examples of a similar style. Personally, these are my IPAs of choice these days.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

Swen, think maybe you could find a way to bring some of those new ones out of Nashville you mention to Asheville? Just a sample?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm on the lookout for that too. In fact, I'm also looking for their Sidecar Orange Pale Ale and their 4-way IPA pack (includes German Style IPA, Peach IPA, Black IPA and Torpedo).
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Hmm... that likely could be arranged. I have some Big Juicy Dank (and the brewery is 5 min from my house). I will see what of the others is available at a crowler station pre-trip...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

I'll pay for the Big Juicy Dank if you'd be kind enough to pick up a crowler....IF you have time.