Anybody growing hops?

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Anybody growing hops?

Post by alb »

I just ordered some cascade hops rhizomes. My back deck is about 6-7 feet off the ground, and I figure I can run trellis lines up beyond that, following the deck rail.

Anybody got any general advice? (i know, I know, I should be careful issuing such an open invitation!)
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Anybody growing hops?

Post by bpgreen »

This is a good place to start.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I grow cascades for a few years now, it's not hard.
While the ideal commercial height is 16-24', the bines don't know that. I grow mine on a nice 6' trellis, they go over the top and down the back. I only harvest a little from the one trellis, but throw them into APAs. The hard part is deciding when to pick. There are plenty of sites and videos. Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Alb, my deck sounds very similar to yours, and I've been considering doing the same thing.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

The 2nd story deck is exactly what I use. I ran a twine through an eye hook at the top of each post. Then I let it out every couple weeks so the top of the bine was always climbing up. I read that on a "growing hops in a pot" article somewhere. Seemed to have worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I tried last year, and epically failed. Something kept eating the plants down to the ground every night.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

MrBandGuy wrote:The 2nd story deck is exactly what I use. I ran a twine through an eye hook at the top of each post. Then I let it out every couple weeks so the top of the bine was always climbing up. I read that on a "growing hops in a pot" article somewhere. Seemed to have worked.
Thanks, I looked that up and found it in BYO from 2009. He says he lets the bines curl up on the ground but I think I could hang some hose storage hooks down from the base of the deck to keep things more tidy.
Last edited by alb on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

My post does not have to do with growing hops, but rather it is about using home grown hops. In 7 years of brewing I have only used whole hops one time, so I really do not know what to expect from using them.

A member of our brew club gave me 6 ounces of Cascade whole hops that he grew. After storing them in the refrigerator for a week, when I opened the bag to add them to the beer I brewed yesterday, some of them had turned yellow/brown. The hops smelled 'grassy' and no way near as pungent as the Cascade pellet hops that I had bought. In the end I decided not to use the whole hops, I made the correct decision right?.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

alb wrote:I just ordered some cascade hops rhizomes. My back deck is about 6-7 feet off the ground, and I figure I can run trellis lines up beyond that, following the deck rail.

Anybody got any general advice? (i know, I know, I should be careful issuing such an open invitation!)
I'm only on my third year growing hops but have some observations on growing them.
1} My first year I had a 6' high wire and it wasn't long they out grew it, so I let them go horizontal but had to help do that. They will climb up a rope on their own (with a little help in the beginning) but not sideways without doing it manually. The second year I have them on 18' poles and a cable and some of them wanted to climb higher then that.
2} Not sure if you are thinking of planting in the ground or container.. I have never grown hops in a container but I have a lot of experience on container grown vegetables mainly tomatoes and peppers. Growing in a pot or container the plant has limited root structure so is more dependent on a even moisture amount, where as a plant grown directly in the ground pulls its moisture from a larger area and can do good on its own up to a point...What I'm saying is if I was to grow hops in a container I would have a drip system on them and I think they would do good....
3} Try to grow them in a location that get's maximum sun light per day.
This a thread that I had back awhile ago and some very good input from the borg though out: http://beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4352
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Willoughby Brewing Co. has hops growing up around an outdoor area similar as to what you describe. In early June they are just at the railing level, they string something to get them about 8' above the deck and then string lines across to the building, by August the hops are overhead, like a natural pergola. Current brewer and owner have no idea what hops they are and they are basically decorative. They're kind of leery to do a mystery IPA.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I love mystery IPA.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

John Sand wrote:I love mystery IPA.
Me too. And when it's gone, it's gone.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Willoughby Brewing Co. has hops growing up around an outdoor area similar as to what you describe. In early June they are just at the railing level, they string something to get them about 8' above the deck and then string lines across to the building, by August the hops are overhead, like a natural pergola. Current brewer and owner have no idea what hops they are and they are basically decorative. They're kind of leery to do a mystery IPA.
They're missing an opportunity.

There's a brewery in Utah that brews one batch a year using native and naturalized hops found growing in random places throughout the valley. They don't do any testing and the beer can vary dramatically from year to year.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I grew 2 cascade up my corner deck rails in our old house. In the 2nd year, the harvest was huge. All I did was run twine from a tent peg to top of the deck post. I trained one vine and snipped off the rest. That thing grew like crazy.

Note: they almost took over our flower garden in yr 3.

Here's some pics below.

Maybe 12 ft from ground to top

I let this one go nuts - tons of cones

The bounty

Thirsting For Knowledge
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Damn....that looks awesome. I just might give this a go this year.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck