Volume of Wort vs total volume of Batch

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

pkpreader

Volume of Wort vs total volume of Batch

Post by pkpreader »

Why does BrewDemon's instructions only have you boil 4 cups of water for your wort for a 2 gallon batch?

How does the volume of water for your wort vs the batch total volume affect your brew?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Volume of Wort vs total volume of Batch

Post by bpgreen »

You only need to boil a gallon, but you to it off with cold water to the full volume.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

1 quart, not 1 gallon. 4 cups, not 4 quarts.

Just enough to liquefy the can contents, which you add to a gallon of cold water, than top off with cold water.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

RickBeer wrote:1 quart, not 1 gallon. 4 cups, not 4 quarts.

Just enough to liquefy the can contents, which you add to a gallon of cold water, than top off with cold water.
Yup as RB said, and when doing it like it says, will have a good yeast pitching temp. It does work like it says when doing it by the directions............Later on if you move on to other things, there will be a little more things to think about, but that system will work just fine as is.............
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome! Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome to the Borg!! With the Hopped Malt Extracts that come in the BrewDemon and Mr Beer kits, they already have been boiled with the malt and hops, with IBUs rated for the finished volume. What you are doing is boiling the water to get the HME, which is very thick and syrupy, to mix into a thinner slurry. When you turn off the burner, you add the HME and stir till completely incorporated. At this point you should have a designated amount of cold water in the fermenter according to instructions, which really brings the temp down, from there you top off with more cold water to the finish volume per instruction. As stated that should bring you down to a temperature that is safe enough to pitch the yeast, usually between 60-75 degrees.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
pkpreader

Post by pkpreader »

Thanks for the replies. If I had other ways of cooling down the wort quickly, like an ice bath or copper wort chiller, is there any benefit to boiling more water for the wort? I just didn't know since it was a beginner kit if the reason they had you boil less water vs total batch volume was to help you with cooling down the wort quickly with just using cold water or if it was due to that the 4 cups of water boiled and then mixed with the HME was the ideal volume of wort for that recipe.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Zero benefit. Just follow the directions.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

pkpreader wrote:Thanks for the replies. If I had other ways of cooling down the wort quickly, like an ice bath or copper wort chiller, is there any benefit to boiling more water for the wort? I just didn't know since it was a beginner kit if the reason they had you boil less water vs total batch volume was to help you with cooling down the wort quickly with just using cold water or if it was due to that the 4 cups of water boiled and then mixed with the HME was the ideal volume of wort for that recipe.

Mainly for ease of use for the beginner to get their feet wet in the hobby. Brew per directions for the kit till you get to how long to leave it in the fermenter, at that point forget the directions, you want to keep it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, then bottle condition @ room temp for 3-4 weeks, then chill what you are going to drink for 2-3 days so the carbonation can be absorbed back into the beer. This will bring out the best in these types of kits.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013