Using Bleach As A Sanitizer

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

I found this to be quite an informative read on using bleach as a sanitizer:
Bleach is our main sanitizer at work. We use Quat in our pot sinks. As we tell the new hires if you can smell the bleach you are using too much. In the proper concentration it is a no rinse sanitizer. All of our cutting board are sanitized this way. I have been using bleach since my Grandpa, Uncles and Dad taught us young uns to make wine. Hard to believe a Germany family and not a single brewer in the bunch :lol: :lol: Hope you find it helpful
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Using Bleach As A Sanitizer

Post by Brewbirds »

Thanks for posting that Bob. I know it is probably considered one of the cheapest sanitizers available if you are buying the laundry section variety (without fragrance or colors) but finding a food grade version may become more difficult and more expensive. Do you get a food grade version for work from your suppliers?

My worry with using chlorine products for sanitizing brew gear is chlorophenols, that is some nasty tasting stuff with a very small taste threshold that can ruin a batch of beer. And you know I speak from personal experience. So I would be very leery of using it as a no rinse sanitizer.
Sibling Brewers
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Brewbirds wrote: My worry with using chlorine products for sanitizing brew gear is chlorophenols, that is some nasty tasting stuff with a very small taste threshold that can ruin a batch of beer. And you know I speak from personal experience. So I would be very leery of using it as a no rinse sanitizer.
^This.

If you do decide to use bleach, make sure to rinse it off, unless you like drinking band-aids. I would recommend just sticking with StarSan (or other no-rinse sanitizer).
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

nope just regular ole bleach with no additives Never had a bleach taste in anything. Like I said I have used it for years never had an issue with it. I am comfortable with using it. I provided this as additional information. The more you know the better you brew. You should always use a methodology that you are comfortable with using. Some sanitizers such as bleach & iodine could cause poisoning if used incorrectly. Also never use bleach on stainless you will ruin it.

Definitely seems like I opened up another can of worms here. I would never recommend that somebody change to using bleach. It is what I have used with family, on my own and professionally for about 40 years. For bottling beer have never used it. For that purpose I use the sanitizing cycle of my dishwasher. A properly cleaned fermenter & just gets a quick rinse of a low ppm bleach solution. Cleaning is your best defense against an infection. Replacing your plastic fermenters on a regular is important. I replace mine annually expect for my Better Bottles.
Last edited by haerbob3 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Ok so they are saying 1/2 teaspoon one tablespoon per gallon for a no rinse food safe sanitizer. Didn't realize that bleach was that potent.

EDIT: As shown in Table 1, about one tablespoon (1/2 fluid ounce, 15
ml) of typical chlorine bleach per gallon of water is the maximum
that should be used for sanitizing food contact surfaces, according
to federal regulation. If higher concentrations are used, the surface
must be rinsed with potable water after sanitizing. Contact times of
one to five minutes are usually sufficient to achieve a thorough kill,
depending on chlorine concentration and organic load

Monty
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I have to agree with Russki here and stick with StarSan, It's quick and easy and there isn't much worry about how to use it. Some time back I posted this chart showing the most popular cleaning and sanitizing products for home brewers. It also shows brief details, amounts and rinsing instructions for each product. There is also a link to Realbeer.com's COMPLETE GUIDE TO CLEANING AND SANITATION that provides even more details about different cleaning methods, perhaps more then you most likely ever wanted to know, but it is a great resource.

The thing that you have to remember is that food prep can be much different then brewing. For food prep you are consuming the food almost immediately and there usually isn't anything else that happens to the food once it is prepared and cooked, whereas in brewing you are relying on chemical reactions over a long period of time to create the end result and even a trace of bleach can affect the end result.
Last edited by LouieMacGoo on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added missing link
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Agreed, if ya got it. But in a pinch, you could use bleach. I didn't even know there was a no rinse option with it.

Monty
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

While I also use Starsan, I'm always glad to hear alternate procedures. Thanks Bob!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I have been using a bleach/vinegar solution for sanitizing as discussed some here. NOTE THE PART WHERE IT IS MENTIONED THAT YOU DO NOT MIX THE BLEACH AND VINEGAR TOGETHER DIRECTLY.

It is no rinse but you need to let it air dry completely.

How good is it? You can clean your kitchen or bathroom with it.
dad2all5
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by dad2all5 »

Very interesting , I would have switched to bleach but after readin I will stick with the product from Demon Brew. :guzzle:
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT. (THE CHILDREN NEED POSITIVE ROLE MODELS) HAVE YOU CHANGED TODAY?
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

I use bleach to kill everything in a keg after it has been infected. If I get an infected batch, first I clean with scentless dish soap, then dry, then bleach it, let it sit with the bleach for half an hour. Then rinse thoroughly with cold water. Finally, sanitize as normal on brew day. Maybe it isn't the bleach, but I've never had a repeat infection.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

dad2all5 wrote:Very interesting , I would have switched to bleach but after readin I will stick with the product from Demon Brew. :guzzle:
The OneStep that BrewDemon supplies work pretty good but you do need to give it some time to allow it to work properly. I still use OneStep but I also use StarSan because it works almost instantly and I keep a spray bottle of it on hand to spray on my bottling wand or hoses or anything else that I might need to quickly "sanitize" and not have to worry about rinsing it off.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

While we have switched from bleach as a sanitizer at school, gov regulation I think, we still use a bleach based sanitizer, quats. That has avery limited life, two hours if I remember right. I would still be worried about residue giving off flavors if using bleach.... beer can be finicky at times... :)

I exclusivly use star san myself. no worries....
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
dad2all5 wrote:Very interesting , I would have switched to bleach but after readin I will stick with the product from Demon Brew. :guzzle:
The OneStep that BrewDemon supplies work pretty good but you do need to give it some time to allow it to work properly. I still use OneStep but I also use StarSan because it works almost instantly and I keep a spray bottle of it on hand to spray on my bottling wand or hoses or anything else that I might need to quickly "sanitize" and not have to worry about rinsing it off.
The one step actually works with 30 seconds of contact. The 10 minutes recommended is how long it takes to dissolve properly. I have been playing around with star san but I still prefer one step.