Temperature and aging beer....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Red Beerd

Temperature and aging beer....

Post by Red Beerd »

I thought this article was really interesting....

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2017/07/nin ... professor/

What do you guys do who live in hot climates to protect your beer from rapid aging?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Temperature and aging beer....

Post by mashani »

My beer sits in my basement between 58 and 70 degrees (it depends on what time of year it is). But really at least 3 months of it is around 20c (68 degrees).

My beer doesn't go stale even if I age it a year. I've aged some beers 2 years. IPAs might have hops fade, but I drink them more quickly because of that. Malty beers however stay perfectly delicious.

But I don't filter and mutilate my beer in other unnatural ways, or pump it through pipes on the way to the bottling line introducing extra oxygen in the process.

So ?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have a kegerator and a keezer (I use mostly for fermenting). For the few I bottle as well as my bought craft beer, I have a large, dorm fridge and a spare fridge that we use mostly for food but it's full of my craft beer and the yeast I use for starters.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I also keg and keep everything in cold storage. In the rare instance that I bottle, they sit at about 68 degrees and I've left them there for 6-9 months without issue. If I didn't have the ability to keep things cool, I would invest in a way.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Pretty much the same here. If I don't keg the beer, which is most of the time, I bottle it and keep it in my basement. Since it's sitting on a concrete floor, it stays in the mid-60s just about all the time.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

First of all I am in a lot different temp zone then you are so this makes it harder to answer your question for me but I want to help. I bottle and then keep at my basement temp until whenever I want to drink some and then put them in the fridge for a day or so. Basement temp here in western NY hardly ever goes above 70 or low 70's in the summer and I don't have a problem with that. I guess in your situation I would carb for a week or two then fridg..
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

It's been tough here in SoCal last few weeks. Temps have been in the high 90's and my beer is in the garage so it can get quite hot in there!