BRAND NEW ezRecipe-RO© - βeta Testers Wanted

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: BRAND NEW ezRecipe-RO© - βeta Testers Wanted

Post by mashani »

@Screwy, my plan is to use this side by side with BeerSmith when I design my next recipe, including water adjustments. I'll get back at you once I go through the whole process.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I sent an email, but never saw the spreadsheet. I've got ms office on my personal laptop and various open office variants that I can try it with.

Should I resend my request?
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

mashani wrote:@Screwy, my plan is to use this side by side with BeerSmith when I design my next recipe, including water adjustments. I'll get back at you once I go through the whole process.
@mashani eventually, I hope to get into the detailed settings and results with you. I'd be interested to know if you had problems opening the spreadsheet or viewing the example recipes.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:I sent an email, but never saw the spreadsheet. I've got ms office on my personal laptop and various open office variants that I can try it with.

@bpgreen I thought I did receive delivery receipts for all of the emails I've sent out including yours. I suggest checking your spam folder. To make sure my original email isn't sitting in there. I resent the latest version to you just now please let me know if you get this one. Sorry for the confusion.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I just sent you some notes. Looks good overall, but I found a few quirks (admittedly, probably user error).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Vince, brew day is done. Numbers were good. This time I only used ezRecipe and Beersmith. Both reported a ph of 5.39 and I got 5.33.
One thing I noticed was the predicted OG. Beersmith showed 1.056 (I got 1.058) but ezRecipe showed 1.047 and both were set to 76% efficiency.

Would it be possible for you to tweak the grain and hop drop down menu so that you would type the first letter of the ingredient and it would bring up the closest alphabetic match? It would save just a bit of time compared to scrolling down thru each one. Just a very minor annoyance.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
bpgreen wrote:I sent an email, but never saw the spreadsheet. I've got ms office on my personal laptop and various open office variants that I can try it with.

@bpgreen I thought I did receive delivery receipts for all of the emails I've sent out including yours. I suggest checking your spam folder. To make sure my original email isn't sitting in there. I resent the latest version to you just now please let me know if you get this one. Sorry for the confusion.
I did get the original and it was flagged as spam. I searched for it and thought gmail included the spam folder in searches, but I guess not.

Thanks. I'll check it out on my next brew day.

When you add metric, let me know and I'll take a look. I use a mixture of metric and imperial.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Hi Brian. I just emailed you the metric version of ezRecipe. The attached filename is 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls.dat'. Rename that file to 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls' and you will be ready for testing.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:Vince, brew day is done. Numbers were good. This time I only used ezRecipe and Beersmith. Both reported a ph of 5.39 and I got 5.33.
Thank you for the feedback Paul. On the Setup page where kettle and tun volumes are entered there are two pH prediction options to chose from. Analytical (color or DIpH based) and Empirical (color and mash thickness based) Was the Analytical option the default and the option that you used? Did you experience any difficulties in getting the spreadsheet to work once downloaded from the email?
setup-1.jpg
setup-1.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
setup-2.jpg
setup-2.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
One thing I noticed was the predicted OG. Beersmith showed 1.056 (I got 1.058) but ezRecipe showed 1.047 and both were set to 76% efficiency.
I can set up your recipe and replicate your results if you can email it to me. The yeast efficiency will influence the FG. The OG is by a combination of water volume and grain weight and extract potential. I'd really like to find out the root of the discrepancies.
setup-2.jpg
setup-2.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Would it be possible for you to tweak the grain and hop drop down menu so that you would type the first letter of the ingredient and it would bring up the closest alphabetic match? It would save just a bit of time compared to scrolling down thru each one. Just a very minor annoyance.
Ok I will play around with character filtering the list of grains to see if it's feasable. In the meantime in the case of grains and hops instead of selecting them from a list would it be easier to type the name of each grain, its color, extract potential and grain type? I've been giving the idea some thought. It makes grain entry quicker and more flexible than relying on a fixed list of grains. Just a thought.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Vince, yes, the default was analytical. No problems at all after I renamed the file and fired up Excel.
I'll email you the recipe if you want to see why my OG was off. Regarding the drop down grain and hop menus, typing them would be fine but don't go thru the trouble for me, I can operate it just as is.

Look for my email and let me know if you have any questions about the recipe.
Thanks!!!!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thank you all for helping to beta test ezRecipe. I've gotten a lot of useful feedback which led me to resolve issues related to saving a recipe. In the process, I've added new help tip comments where some pointed out they were needed.

What did everyone think about the EULA popup? The end user license agreement should only display the very first time a user opens ezRecipe and accepts the agreed terms.
uelu-1.jpg
uelu-1.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
A new recipe import/export feature will be included in the next release that will support recipe sharing with other ezRecipe users.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Honestly, I've seen so many EULA's I no longer pay attention to them. Not a good idea but I obviously have no patience.
Sharing recipes is always an added bonus.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:Hi Brian. I just emailed you the metric version of ezRecipe. The attached filename is 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls.dat'. Rename that file to 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls' and you will be ready for testing.
I got it. Thanks. This one went to my inbox (maybe because I marked the others as not spam).

I haven't had a chance to play with either version yet. I'll try to find time this weekend.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:Honestly, I've seen so many EULA's I no longer pay attention to them. Not a good idea but I obviously have no patience.
Sharing recipes is always an added bonus.
Haha me too. It's really for the legal beagles, not me. I emailed you an updated version ezRecipe 2.01.01 just now. It resolves most of the reported issues and there are a few new enhancements in it too. Thank you again for helping me sort these issues out.
export-1.jpg
export-1.jpg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:Hi Brian. I just emailed you the metric version of ezRecipe. The attached filename is 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls.dat'. Rename that file to 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls' and you will be ready for testing.
I got it. Thanks. This one went to my inbox (maybe because I marked the others as not spam).

I haven't had a chance to play with either version yet. I'll try to find time this weekend.
Thank you @bpgreen for helping to make ezRecipe even better. I will email you the newest releases as they become ready to test. The latest release lets you share your recipes with other ezRceipe users. And when needed to my support email address. To import your recipe and see your recipe as you created it.