BRAND NEW ezRecipe-RO© - βeta Testers Wanted

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: BRAND NEW ezRecipe-RO© - βeta Testers Wanted

Post by mashani »

I sent you some feedback in email, I've been playing around with it today along side of BeerSmith.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
bpgreen wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:Hi Brian. I just emailed you the metric version of ezRecipe. The attached filename is 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls.dat'. Rename that file to 'ezRecipe 2.01eu.xls' and you will be ready for testing.
I got it. Thanks. This one went to my inbox (maybe because I marked the others as not spam).

I haven't had a chance to play with either version yet. I'll try to find time this weekend.
Thank you @bpgreen for helping to make ezRecipe even better. I will email you the newest releases as they become ready to test. The latest release lets you share your recipes with other ezRceipe users. And when needed to my support email address. To import your recipe and see your recipe as you created it.
The only brewing software I've used so far is QBrew and BeerSmith. When I first started using BS, I found it a bit overwhelming, but after a while, I got comfortable with it. I've only recently started trying to correct my mash pH, and from what I've been reading, BeerSmith doesn't do that very well.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

BeerSmith 3 does it well for me. BeerSmith 2 did not.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

If anyone is brewing this weekend and has feedback on ezRecipe 2.01 please keep me in mind. With my stay in Fort Lauderdale behind me now I'm resuming work on known issues and adding new features. Please feel free to email me or post here and I will respond to you accordingly.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Wish I could Vince but a bit under the weather and am filled up with beer at the moment. I hope to brew in the next 2-3 weeks.
Speaking of weather, wow, 72 today. That's crazy even for us in the South! Hope you northern boys get a warm up too!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I need last weekend and have your spreadsheet open, but so far have only entered anything in BeerSmith. If I have time, I'll do a dual entry and compare results tomorrow. If not, I'll do it soon.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Does anyone have information and experience using the 'Hopshot' or 'Hop Jizz' Co2 Hop Extracts? I've never used them myself and have been relying on information from Brad Smith where he says "CO2 extracts are not isomerized, so you need to boil them just like regular hops to get bitterness. To estimate the bitterness added, you can treat them as a regular hop addition with an alpha content equal to their alpha concentration. For the popular brands this is 60-65% alpha, so I might add a new “Hopshot” hop entry with 65% alpha acid to develop a recipe.

For simplicity, you can use the approximate density of 1 gram for 1 ml of hop extract. So adding 1 ml or 1 gram of 65% alpha extract boiled for 60 minutes to a 1.050 OG beer gives around 10 IBUs depending on your exact equipment losses and equation used."

Which is very different than how the Brew Brothers Hop Jizz Calculator seems to work. Where their alpha acid is closer to 90%.

The only thing both Co2 hop extracts have in common is that they both need to be boiled and are treated the same as pellet hops for IBU contributions.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I just used them for the first time, twice, the last 2 brews. I also followed what Brad said but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I could find very little info but since I bought mine from Yakima, I assumed their info was correct.
Hop Shots are CO2 hop extracts that are the clean and efficient way to bitter your beer. This hop extract is made up of 60% Columbus (or other CTZ) hops for bittering and 40% blended aroma varieties. It is extremely concentrated (current batch is 61.1% AA) and is the better way to bitter.

The Hop Shot syringe contains 10 mL of extract.
Store cool and away from light.
Will experience virtually no Alpha Acid degradation.
Volume of extract (mL) = AAU (g) x Density of hop extract (g/mL)
-->One-milliliter yields around 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thank you Paul, I hope you're feeling better. I noticed they pretty much all use the simple "1ml yields around 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes" line. Except for Brew Brothers who provide the most detailed information I've found so far where they refer to "Pre-Boil Gravity = (Post-Boil Volume / Pre-Boil Volume) x Expected Original Gravity Point". As an example using a post-boil volume of 6.45 gallons and a pre-boil volume of 7.60 gallons and an estimated OG of 1.053 the formula looks like this... (6.45/7.60) * 53 = 44.98 which translates to a 1.045 pre-boil gravity.

With a final wort/post-boil volume of 6.45 gallons, a boil time of 60 minutes and a pre-boil gravity of 1.045 adding 1ml of hop jizz extract will increase the IBUs of this wort by 10 points."
hjizz.jpg
hjizz.jpg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

...oops
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've decided that the best way to demonstrate new ezRecipe 2.01 features is by providing a series of short video clips. In response to a question from one of our beta testers this morning I created a YouTube video to show how to add a new grain type. As I'm sure you've heard before "a picture is worth a thousand words". I hope you find this approach to learning useful. And as usual, I always appreciate your feedback.

ezRecipe - Adding A New Grain Type

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

My how timely this is. :) I'm working on a recipe right now and wanted to do this. Nice work.
I'll email you after brew day and give you an update in case it's helpful. Thanks again for all the work.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:My how timely this is. :) I'm working on a recipe right now and wanted to do this. Nice work.
I'll email you after brew day and give you an update in case it's helpful. Thanks again for all the work.
Awesome and no problem. Check your email inbox for v2.01.02, its the version with the latest features.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:My how timely this is. :) I'm working on a recipe right now and wanted to do this. Nice work.
Awesome and no problem. Check your email inbox for v2.01.02, its the version with the latest features.
Send me another update if you haven't already, since I'm going to design another beer soonish, I'll do more side by side with BeerSmith 3.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

mashani wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:
Send me another update if you haven't already, since I'm going to design another beer soonish, I'll do more side by side with BeerSmith 3.
Absolutely. I will email you a copy later today. And thank you for all your help testing ezRecipe 2.01.02.