Slutty Queen (Easy Jack clone)

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: Slutty Queen (Easy Jack clone)

Post by BlackDuck »

Even when I used these as aroma in the past, it seemed they were mild. Just didn't produce the amount of aroma and even flavor for the amount that I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:What's the alpha on those hops? My Mandarina is 9.5, which isn't how but isn't low and my Huell Melon is 7.5% but I think these are both related to Noble hops so you make a good point as these are best used for Aroma and not bittering. Ron's idea of keg hopping should give it some life unless the backbone is also weak.
I'm sure you are aware, but just in case some newbie reads this thread:

The AA% has no real meaningful impact on the flavor/aroma compounds only how bitter they will make your beer, except for how much of the hops total oil content is made up of what gives you those AAs vs the flavor/aroma parts. IE a "clean" bittering hop would be made up mostly of those, where an aroma/flavor hop would have a lot of other stuff, a high AA flavor/aroma hop is going to have a much higher total oil content then a low AA one because otherwise it would be a "clean" bittering hop.

The flavor/aroma come from OTHER volatile oils in the hops.

So what is more important would be whatever the "total fixed oil content (IE stuff like Humulene) - total volatile oil content (IE stuff like myrcene)" is. IE if say 25% of your 12% AA hop is Humulene and 25% is Co-Humulene and the total oil is 2mL/100g, then the 50% of the oils that remain (1mL/100g) is potentially made up of various things that might add flavor/aroma. And then the makeup of those various other oils (IE stuff I can name, but not all hops have all of these would be B-Pinene, Caryophyllene, Farnesene, Linalool, Myrcene, Geraniol, I'm sure I'm missing more) is what make up the flavor/aroma profile you will get. And of course some of those oils vaporize into your air at lower temperatures then others, so that's why when you add them matters.

I hope that made sense.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I think I need a beer to reread mashani's post [emoji16]. I'll keep y'all posted and will be very curious to see how Chris' brew of this goes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I took a gravity reading yesterday. Was at 1.009, so I dropped 3 ounces of Mandarina Bavaria and 1 ounce of Huell Melon in. Also drank the gravity sample. At first, I thought it to me fairly good. It was quite smooth. Not much of a bitterness bite, I was expecting a little more. The orange/tangerine flavor was very noticable, yet light in both flavor and aroma. I don't think this will be nearly as flavorful as Easy Jack, but after the dry hop and carbonation, I think it has potential to be a pretty decent pale ale. Thoughts for future adjustments at this point would be to add a little more hops for the bittering addition, and also adding some in the 15 to 20 minute mark to increase the flavor a touch. But we'll see when it's finished.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I also noticed that my first pour, like your sample, was pretty murky. It has to be the oats, but I didn't think that much would make such an impact. I even fined with ClarityFerm.

In any case, I agree with your assessments, as they apply to my own version. We'll see what my keg hopping does. I threw in about 2 oz of Citra + 1 oz Mosaic yesterday and won't touch it for another 14 days or so (due to my schedule more than anything).
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kealia wrote:was pretty murky. It has to be the oats
And the Wheat. Mine was cloudy from the get go. I had trouble getting it to clear even before the transfer. I did not use Clarity Ferm so we'll see what 4 or 5 days of a cold crash does. Also, I'm not planning on keg hopping at this point.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've only used clarity ferm once and it was in a somewhat hoppy beer. I didn't notice any differences at all but is it possible the muted nose and taste you are getting are due to Clarity Ferm? Everything I've read says 'no' but since I have no idea how it removes gluten, just maybe it takes away some flavors. I hope not because the beer I brewed yesterday was the least amount of hops I've used in ages and I am trying Clarity Ferm a second time to see how it works.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

BlackDuck wrote: Also, I'm not planning on keg hopping at this point.
Yeah, you shouldn't until you see what the recipe brings you. Mine is trying to fix something.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote:I've only used clarity ferm once and it was in a somewhat hoppy beer. I didn't notice any differences at all but is it possible the muted nose and taste you are getting are due to Clarity Ferm? Everything I've read says 'no' but since I have no idea how it removes gluten, just maybe it takes away some flavors. I hope not because the beer I brewed yesterday was the least amount of hops I've used in ages and I am trying Clarity Ferm a second time to see how it works.
I just don't know....I've only used it one other time and that recipe was fine but it was more heavily hopped.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/27/clarit ... t-results/
Clarity Ferm is generally accepted to have little if any impact on the overall character of beer; however, many contend fining with gelatin reduces hop character. The fact a rather hefty majority of tasters were unable to distinguish it from the other beer at least supports the idea it’s no more detrimental than Clarity Ferm. Combining this with the results from the first gelatin xBmt where tasters weren’t reliably able to distinguish between a gelatin fined and untreated dry hopped beer, it would seem gelatin has little if any demonstrably negative impact on beer character.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW: The Belgian beer I brewed with 40% oat malt last year (malted oats, not flaked) and ~10% unmalted wheat as well turned out totally clear, not cloudy.

So... YMMV with this stuff. That's all I'm saying. Not saying it isn't that. I'd have thought the clarity ferm would have taken out any haze stuff though.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This beer has been saved. 3oz of keg hops did the trick to add aroma and some flavor to an otherwise bland beer.

The trick is that I can't think of this beer as trying to be an Easy Jack clone because it isn't even close. Once that is out of my head, it's a nice session IPA (now) with Mosaic and Citra playing dominant roles.

Oh well, at least I didn't have to pour 5 gallons for the homies!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

At 40+ IBU's and that grist, how can it be so plain? Based on what you and Blackduck have stated, I'm stumped.
But, many a beer have I saved with keg hopping. It can make a throw away beer a keeper. And, here's something to try that I've done many times with my so-so beers......blending! Take a good beer and try different amounts of the Slutty Queen in it and see what portions you like. It's like having a third beer to chose from.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I guess I forgot to update my thoughts on this. Mine came out somewhat plain like Kealia's did too. It's no way in hell even close to Easy Jack. Like Kealia, if I don't think of Easy Jack while drinking it, it's a pretty decent session pale ale. It's fairly light in flavor and aroma, but still easy drinking and refreshing. I'm not going to keg hop mine, it's decent the way it is, it's just not an Easy Jack clone.

This is the second or third time I've used Mandarina Bavaria as one of the main hops in a recipe, and each time, it's come out lighter in flavor and aroma than I thought it would. In fact, while Ron and I were working on this recipe we even added more in the dry hop spot than originally planned to account for this and it still wasn't enough. I still think the recipe has some potential, so I'm gonna brew it again eventually with some changes, just not sure when.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck