Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well I finally hopped on the Haze Craze crazy train, pun intended, a few weeks ago and brewed my first ever Northeastern IPA. The recipe for a Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA was published on Brewer's Friend and I decided to go with that one for my first attempt.

I used a whirlpool/hopstand that recirculated the wort starting at flameout to 175F, which took 45 minutes for the 10 gallon batch. Dry hopping followed a week after pitching the WLP-001, using 4 ounces of Citra and an ounce each of Simcoe and Amarillo for 7 days.

When walking into the brewroom I've been treated to the citrusy aromas of all of those delicious hops and plan to keg it this weekend.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA

Post by Beer-lord »

I just recently came across that same recipe and thought about brewing it in the fall once I am sure I've got my previous problems taken care of. Please let us know your thoughts on this one when it's ready.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I just recently came across that same recipe and thought about brewing it in the fall once I am sure I've got my previous problems taken care of. Please let us know your thoughts on this one when it's ready.
I hope you're getting closer to eliminating those problems once and for all.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

One good brew down and I'll soon know how #2 did. For now, I think it was 2 things, mostly an inaccurate ph meter.
It's s work in progress.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I'm happy to hear that you've narrowed down, and can potentially eliminate, the cause of the problem. That has got to be a big relief and hopefully you never have to go through that again.

Today is kegging day, where I get to sample the citrusy fruits of my labor! The Sloop Juice Bomb clone has been cold crashing for 24 hours with 6 ounces of delicious hops in each fermentor. I will be posting a picture here along with the final gravity reading of this hazy beer later today.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I sampled this Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA last night and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Lots of citrusy hop aroma. Plenty of hop flavor. But at the same time not bitter at all. I have a new favorite beer style now which always makes me very happy.
sloop juice bomb.jpg
sloop juice bomb.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 875 times

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I like them too though some are more like orange juice than others. Yours looks fabulous. When you brew it again, would you change anything?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I like them too though some are more like orange juice than others. Yours looks fabulous. When you brew it again, would you change anything?
Honestly I would not change anything Paul. I took the advice of Martin Brungard in his May/June Zymurgy article titled 'Water for a New England IPA'. I feel his recommendations regarding chloride and sulfate levels really made a difference and worked well with this style.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I clipped out that article for the next time I brew a NEIPA. Martin is a great source of help in another forum and I've PM'd him about a year ago for some info and he was very helpful.
Drink those fast because you'll start noticing changes in the next 2 weeks. It doesn't get bad, just different but as you know, the fresher, the better.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:Drink those fast because you'll start noticing changes in the next 2 weeks. It doesn't get bad, just different but as you know, the fresher, the better.
Great advice. Properly 'disposing' of this first batch will not be problem :clink: