ezRecipe - Latest Version Now Available

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: ezRecipe - Latest Version Now Available

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Wow. I can't believe 3 months have gone by since my last update. During this time I have been busy making updates to ezRecipe. Today a brand new information and support site for ezRecipe was launched. After months spent adding the features brewers wanted, ezRecipe v1.20 is now available. Thank you to The Borg for their ideas and encouragement, they have helped make ezRecipe a reality.

Visit the ezRecipe support site by clicking here www.ezhomebrewing.com.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'll check it out.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Here is a first peek at the new desktop version of ezRecipe. I'm hoping to have available for download this Fall.
ezrecipe-sml.jpg
ezrecipe-sml.jpg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It's great to see your little baby grow up!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:It's great to see your little baby grow up!
Thanks, Paul. I'll let you know once its ready for beta testing. Looks like a Metric version is in the works now too. I speak in Imperial units but non-US users' native mode is Metric.

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:It's great to see your little baby grow up!
Thanks, Paul. I'll let you know once its ready for beta testing. Looks like a Metric version is in the works now too. I speak in Imperial units but non-US users' native mode is Metric.
If you're going to add metric support, one thing that Beersmith does that is kind of cool is I can set my profile up as imperial, but I can enter something in metric and it will convert it for me automatically. For example, maybe I end up with a short bag of homegrown hops. I can enter that as 13g and when I tab out, it converts to .46 oz automagically.

That's not something I use a lot, but it's kind of handy. It may be a lot of hassle for a small payback, so it might not even be worth trying.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote: Thanks, Paul. I'll let you know once its ready for beta testing. Looks like a Metric version is in the works now too. I speak in Imperial units but non-US users' native mode is Metric.
If you're going to add metric support, one thing that Beersmith does that is kind of cool is I can set my profile up as imperial, but I can enter something in metric and it will convert it for me automatically. For example, maybe I end up with a short bag of homegrown hops. I can enter that as 13g and when I tab out, it converts to .46 oz automagically.

That's not something I use a lot, but it's kind of handy. It may be a lot of hassle for a small payback, so it might not even be worth trying.
'Automagically' haha, great word I'm gonna use that one. I'm not at all familiar with BeerSmith but once I get the core metric conversions down I will consider adding the auto update feature.

I've enlisted the help of a few European brewers to help out with the metric conversion. They don't understand why the water chemistry is already in metric but everything else isn't. I just have to convert hop ounces to grams and add an option to use either phosphoric or lactic acid. So far so good.
ez-metric-1.gif
ez-metric-1.gif (36.69 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

If anyone speaks 'metric' here please let me know. I am adding metric to ezRecipe and need someone to provide their feedback. Having never brewed in metric, other than for water properties, I'd like to hear comments from someone who has.
ezrecipe-met-sml.jpg
ezrecipe-met-sml.jpg (125.28 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Am I reading that right? 50.71 kg of grains for a 44.47 l batch?

Just estimating in my head, that would be about 110 lbs of grain for about a 10 gallon batch.

There's no way that's 4.8-6.5 ABV, so either I'm reading it wrong or you've got a mistake in your calculations somewhere.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bpgreen wrote:Am I reading that right? 50.71 kg of grains for a 44.47 l batch?

Just estimating in my head, that would be about 110 lbs of grain for about a 10 gallon batch.

There's no way that's 4.8-6.5 ABV, so either I'm reading it wrong or you've got a mistake in your calculations somewhere.
Now you see why I'm asking for another pair of eyes :thanks: I don't speak fluent metric and I've been straining my brain with all these conversions. Thank you for pointing this out. I'll take a closer look and fix this.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

After sharpening my pencil the results of the metric conversion are looking much better. Thanks for keeping me honest @bpgreen.
ezrecipe-metr2-sml.jpg
ezrecipe-metr2-sml.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

That looks a lot more reasonable.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well, 5 days and ~20 hours later the ezRecipe metric conversions are looking much better.
ezrecipe-metr3-sml.jpg
ezrecipe-metr3-sml.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

About 5 mind bending days later the metric version of ezRecipe is nearly ready for testing. If anyone speaks metric and feels like kicking the tires please feel free to do so.

ezRecipe Metric

I have to say testing the imperial to metric conversions for accuracy is very time consuming. But in the end, if it adds value to someone's brewday I feel that it was worth it.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I run away from metric but admire you for giving it the ole, college try.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black