Wyeast 1084 attenuation

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Wyeast 1084 attenuation

Post by Beer-lord »

I started this at 66 then after 4 days got it to 69-70 and left it there. I like 001 at 66 for most beers and did the sane for this stout.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Banjo, looking at my recipe, I was mistaken. My FG estimate was 1.022 (I thought it was 1.018) so now I'm much better off than thought after adding sugar. Your first post says you'd like to get to 1.020 but is that what Beersmith (or your software) estimates it should be? I had mine set in Beersmith as Full Body so 1.022 is what is shows for FG. However, I usually use Medium Body and that's where I got the 1.018 but of course, that setting would have had me mash at 152 which I did not.
I've no doubt the tip from mashani of adding some sugar helped bring it down but as to it being any better or worse of a beer due to that, I have no idea.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

The estimated FG is 1.019. My brew logs are are little off because I changed from the Zymatic to biab and didn’t adjust the recipe for the different systems. I’m sure the OG was higher from the Beersmith estimate because the Z has about 55% efficiency. I’ll call this Beer #1.( kegged.)

I did re-brew the exact recipe while subbing out the yeast. That recipe has og 1.062 and FG 1.019.
That’s the brew that is currently stuck at 1.028 Beer #2 ( fermenting)

I’m going to make this again as soon as I have a free keg. I’ll lower the OG, pitch more active yeast,oxygenate, and raise the initial ferementation temperature. Beer #3 ( not brewed yet)

I’ll see what happens.