NEIPA recipe

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

NEIPA recipe

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’m brewing this Juicy Bits Clone tomorrow.
Batch size 3.5 gallons

7.5 lbs two row
.5 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs flaked oats
.25 lbs dextrin
.25 Columbus @ 60 minutes
Yeast London Ale 1318

Recipe Notes
3 ounces total of Mosaic, Citra and El Dorado.

0.1 oz (5.7 g) Mosaic [13.1% AA] at 40 minutes whirlpool
0.1 oz (5.7 g) Citra [12.5% AA] at 40 minutes whirlpool
0.1 oz (5.7 g) El Dorado [14.8% AA] at 40 minutes whirlpool

0.40 oz (12.8 g) Mosaic [13.1% AA] at 30 minutes whirlpool
0.40 oz (12.8 g) Citra [12.5% AA] at 30 minutes whirlpool
0.40 oz (12.8 g) El Dorado [14.8% AA] at 30 minutes whirlpool

0.60 oz (17 g) Mosaic [13.1% AA] at 20 minutes (when whirlpool is shut off)
0.60 oz (17 g) Citra [12.5% AA] at 20 minutes (when whirlpool is shut off)
0.60 oz (17 g) El Dorado [14.8% AA] at 20 minutes (when whirlpool is shut off)

0.80 oz (18.4 g) Mosaic [13.1% AA] dry hop for 8 days, starting at 5–5.5° Plato (1.020–1.022)
0.80 oz (18.4 g) Citra [12.5% AA] dry hop for 8 days, starting at 5–5.5° Plato (1.020–1.022)
0.80 oz (18.4 g) El Dorado [14.8% AA] dry hop for 8 days, starting at 5–5.5° Plato (1.020–1.022)

1 oz (28 g) Mosaic [13.1% AA] dry hop for 4 days
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AA] dry hop for 4 days
1 oz (28 g) El Dorado [14.8% AA] dry hop for 4 days

I set my Zymatic to start heating to mash temp at 4:30 AM
The time until the end of boil will be about 3.5 hours. At 8:00 I’ll on hand to add all of the hopstand hops in the keg.
I’m brewing this for my mother’s 90th birthday celebration! No, she’s not a hop
head but all of my young nephews and nieces should love the hoppy brew.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: NEIPA recipe

Post by Inkleg »

That sounds delicious with a great hop combination.

I've brewed 4 NEIPAs now and have found that the only thing I got from 30+ minute whirlpool additions was a longer brew day. I've found I get fantastic results by adding my first hop addition at flame out (3-4oz) chill to 165 and toss in the second addition (3-4oz) for 15 minutes before chilling to pitching temperature. I'll do my first dry hop about 3 days into fermentation and second 2 days before kegging. My batch size is for 5 gallons packaged and toss in .25oz of Magnum at 60 minutes.
Just thinking out loud and sharing information.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

That’s interesting.
You are using more hops per batch than my recipe. I’ve always questioned the first .1 per hop addition in this recipe. It does go in at 170 and in theory should give more bang for the buck than the higher temperature flame out addition. I’ve never compared the two methods and I’m just going off what I’ve read.

This is my first time brewing this recipe but another Zymatic brewer swears by this recipe and how close it is to the Juicy Bits beer. I hadn’t even heard of this beer before this but it looks very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

So the first addition is at flameout and goes for 40 minutes? Is that right?

My (hopstanded?hopstood? hopstooded?) beers have been at 170 degrees for 30 minutes and proved outstanding IMO.
I'm just trying to understand what time/temp these are happening - sorry, it's Monday!
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Kealia wrote:So the first addition is at flameout and goes for 40 minutes? Is that right?

My (hopstanded?hopstood? hopstooded?) beers have been at 170 degrees for 30 minutes and proved outstanding IMO.
I'm just trying to understand what time/temp these are happening - sorry, it's Monday!

There is no flame out addition.The first addition is at 170.There are two more additions at 10 minute intervals. Each addition is bigger than the one before it. I let the temperature free fall after the first 170 addition.

After the 3 hopstand additions there is the bio transformation hop and finally the normal dry hop.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

OK, gotcha. What is the thinking around the staggered hopstand additions versus all at once? I know you said you got this recipe from another so maybe you don't know.

I'm never any good at monkey-see, monkey-do anything so I tend to question everything in an effort to learn and further discussion. I don't know that I've ever read anything that said you get X from a 30-minute vs Y from a 20-minute, etc. so I'm interested.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Inkleg wrote:That sounds delicious with a great hop combination.

I've brewed 4 NEIPAs now and have found that the only thing I got from 30+ minute whirlpool additions was a longer brew day. I've found I get fantastic results by adding my first hop addition at flame out (3-4oz) chill to 165 and toss in the second addition (3-4oz) for 15 minutes before chilling to pitching temperature.
Basically that's what I do, except all of them @flameout but then put a lid on it, so the stuff that vaporizes at temps > 165 stays in the pot and condenses back into the wort as it cools.
Kealia wrote:OK, gotcha. What is the thinking around the staggered hopstand additions versus all at once? I know you said you got this recipe from another so maybe you don't know.

I'm never any good at monkey-see, monkey-do anything so I tend to question everything in an effort to learn and further discussion. I don't know that I've ever read anything that said you get X from a 30-minute vs Y from a 20-minute, etc. so I'm interested.
Time/Temperature/PH will certainly affect what is extracted from the hops for both flavor/aroma, so if (especially if) you are actively chilling with the lid off then 30 vs. 20 could make some difference due to temperature changes.

Because if you don't have a lid on the pot then volatile aromatic/flavor compounds will be blown off into your air if your temps are higher then they like. Some stuff won't vaporize into your air at 165, but some stuff will vaporize as low as 120 or maybe even less.

So I could see staggered hop additions making a difference in the final flavor/aroma profile, if you don't lid-on like I do. This would also be greatly affected by the hop oil/compound makeup, some hops it might make a much bigger difference then others.

Basically the lid on gives me "everything", as most of it stays in the pot.

Ultimately, the more your room smells good when your done, the less your beer does.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, I'm a "lid on" hop-stander, too.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I’m just copying the recipe so I don’t have an opinion on this.

I “boil”in the keg and it is closed for all of the additions. I don’t smell anything.

So you both think just adding one large hop addition will be the same as staggering the additions? That’s worth testing to see.
The temperature does drop at least 10 degrees between hop additions so it might be possible that the hops are adding different compounds at the various temperatures. That’s just a wild guess.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Banjo-guy wrote:I’m just copying the recipe so I don’t have an opinion on this.

I “boil”in the keg and it is closed for all of the additions. I don’t smell anything.

So you both think just adding one large hop addition will be the same as staggering the additions? That’s worth testing to see.
The temperature does drop at least 10 degrees between hop additions so it might be possible that the hops are adding different compounds at the various temperatures. That’s just a wild guess.
Different stuff can be extracted at different rates at different temperatures, but 10 degrees is not really much of a difference in this regards.

I have a feeling that in your closed environment like our lid-on environment, one big one is pretty much the same as 2 staggered ones.