Fast Ferment Conical

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Fast Ferment Conical

Post by docpd »

Using the Fast Ferment Conical for the first time today. Anyone have experience with this, and if so any hints or tips?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Fast Ferment Conical

Post by John Sand »

No. But good luck, and report please.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hey Doc, I saw in another thread that you're doing 2.5G size batches, right? Did they come out with a smaller version?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@Kealia

They came out with a 3 gallon version some months ago. You can get them from Mr. Beer actually. Or on Amazon. Or lots of other places if you google "3 gallon fast ferment".

They are taller then the 3 gallon "Mini Cooper" fermenters I'm using when put on their 'rack', so they won't fit in my little fridge or on my brewing shelf in my basement as currently configured. And I'm not sure I'd be happy trying to clean them with my gnarly hands. Otherwise they look cool.

EDIT: BTW, I think Yankeedag has or at least used to have a fermenter he called the "alien" which if I remember right looked a lot like one of the big fast ferments. (I don't know it really was one, but it would perform like one based on the pictures I saw of it before unless I'm confused).
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I have a 7 gallon one. Make sure to check the lid section for burrs. Mine had an issue with the seal initially. I found where the 2 sections met was a good burr. Cut it down and had no further issues. Teflon tape is your friend!!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I have just brewed my second batch using this fermenter. Generally it works well, but the valve clogged on the first batch after I had dry hopped. Had to sanitize a long kebob skewer to open it up. It is very easy to clean and the parts seem well made. it is also easy harvest yeast.
Yes this is the 3 gallon version.
Scoper50

Post by Scoper50 »

These fermenters are really popular on the Facebook "Home Brewers" page. Guys really seem to like them. I'm currently a wide mouth glass fermenter and although I have made some great beer in it, I hate it when it comes time to clean it. a 7 gallon glass vessel is obviously fragile and I'm always afraid I'll break it while handling it with wet hands. My next fermenter will likely be one of these simply for that reason.