Red-X Simcoe Wheat

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Red-X Simcoe Wheat

Post by MrBandGuy »

Maybe it'll come around with age. Or you can throw some fruit extract in there, (strawberry perhaps), and cover the blandness.

It's still beer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Nothing to do with your recipe but I've found I don't like more than 30% Red X anymore. Not sure why but more than that is just too much for me. I've only used it about 80% twice and a few times with 20-30% and like that so much better.
You may remember my last RedX beer was blah so I added 2 oz of Amarillo and it made it very much more drinkable.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:So.....this beer........sucks. I mean there is nothing that went wrong/bad other than the final product being very bland.
For example the wheat totally dominates the Red-X and no flavor from that comes through. Neither the Citra @ 15 nor the 3 oz of Simcoe in the hopstand come through - at all.
This beer tastes like wheat malt......with nothing else. There's a *tiny* bit of flavor upfront but it then it becomes wheaty and bland and finishes very dry.
That seems very... odd... How old were those hops? I made a wheat IPA somewhat recently with Citra and a little bit of Mosiac, mostly hopstanded, and I tasted plenty of it, so the wheat in of itself should not have done that. Werid...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'll pass on the fruit extract, but thanks for the idea.
The hops were pretty fresh. I pick them up at More beer as needed and have never had an issue.
It's not bad in the sense that you spit it out because it's awful, just bland (the best word I can think of to describe it).
We'll see what a week with the keg hopping brings.
I just don't know why this turned the way it did.

Paul, I used 100% Red-X once as a replacement for the grain bill on Levitation and loved it.
Hmmm, maybe time to brew Levitation again...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

After a week with 2oz Simcoe in the keg this is much better. It has a decent aroma without being too strong - which is what I originally wanted. It picked up a little bite from the hops, too - which it really needed.
Overall, now it's "ok", but nothing I will be filling growlers of for friends. The main thing is that even with the help the additional Simcoe brought to it, it's still very one-dimensional.

It will stay on tap until it's gone. or until I brew something else that needs the tap.

Like I said, they can't all be winners and I was likely due for a sub-par batch. Life goes on.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I sampled this again last night and decided to pour it. Life is too short to drink beer that is just "meh".
The other 2.5G of this batch has been sitting at about 62 degrees for the past few weeks with 2oz of Amarillo in the keg.
I put this keg into the kegerator two days ago, pulled the hops last night, hit it with some gelatin and put it back on gas. I'll try this one in about 2 weeks (because I Have other things to do in the meantime) and see if it is worth keeping.

Fortunately, by the time I test that my next batch of Levitation will be ready to tap so if I have to dump it as well, I have my go-to Amber ready.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Perhaps if not up to your taste you can blend it with another beer to make it more enjoyable. While my NEIPA is not bad, its just not my kind of NEIPA and I'm still drinking it and it's almost gone but, I've blended some of it with a pale or two and really liked how it tasted. It's like having another beer on tap sometimes.
YMMV though.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black