India Black Lager recipe

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

India Black Lager recipe

Post by Beer-lord »

While in Nashville we visited Bootleg Biology and learned a ton of things. Jeff, the owner, kindly gave us some lager yeast to try out. The info says:
BB22204 – S. arlingtonesis™

Availability: Limited

Source: Isolated from wild yeast starter jar in Arlington, VA using Bootleg Biology’s Capture Method #1.

S. arlingtonesis™ is our flagship Local Yeast Project™ strain. The very first culture added to our bank, and a WILD-sourced Lager strain!

This culture ferments extremely clean in the 50’sF (lagers) & 60’sF (Kolsch and Lager hybrids), and has subtle fruity/citrus esters in the higher end of the Ale fermentation range (wheat-centric beers). May produce sulfur aromas during primary fermentation, but those will be eliminated within a couple weeks (allow longer aging if fermenting at lower temperatures). S. arlingtonesis is a higher attenuator than most ale strains, so adjustments made need to be made to grain bills or mash temperatures if a drier beer is not preferred.
I would like to brew a black lager in the mid 50's but hopefully not take longer than 3 weeks to ferment and lager (and maybe an extra week in the keg). I've got some ideas on a recipe but since I'm not a lager brewer and there are recipes all over the map, I thought I'd ask if any Borg has done any and if so, what was the recipe.

I'm thinking on keeping the hops somewhat IPA like using Amarillo, Columbus and Chinook and maybe something else for the dry hop (don't want to buy hops as I have tons). My thoughts are something similar to this:
8 lbs Pale 2-row
3 lbs Pilsner 2-row
1 lb Munich Light
1 lb Vienna
8 oz. Crystal 80
6 oz. Chocolate Malt
6 oz. Carafa III
IBU's 70 ish??????

So, I need Borg help please.
Attachments
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg (656.99 KiB) Viewed 626 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Re: India Black Lager recipe

Post by BlackDuck »

My thought: why bother with the Pilsner malt and the crystal 80? Just go with more 2 row and maybe a touch more chocolate malt. Other than that, the malt bill looks pretty darn good for an IBL. Good idea on a recipe to give that yeast a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Based on how my dopplebock came out, you can easily get it done that fast, just make a big starter and pitch a lot of yeast (more then Mr. Malty says, use Brewers Friend Pro Brewer lager pitch rates). And ferment at more like 57 vs low 50s. You probably won't need a D-Rest if you do that and it will get done quickly but still be like a lager.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I agree with Chris. If you're going to make it a IPA with lager yeast just go with the 2 row as the hops are going to cover any advantages of Pilsner.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

A bit of reading and it seems a bit of pilsner malt is helpful to a cleaner tasting beer. One IBL recipe I saw had much more and the brewer said he tried less and felt like it lost lots of it's lager like taste. This is all just guessing on my part anyway.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Hhhmmm, OK. I just don’t see how you could pick up much lager like taste with Vienna, Munich, chocolate, crystal 80, Crarafa III. That guy must be a lager super taster!!!

I could see if you were going with almost all Pilsner and chocolate for color, but not with all those other grains mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Just to throw some $*&A$ on the wall LOL.

"Lager Like Taste" can include (and is expected by some) to contain a slight trace of DMS. The Pilsner might give that slight trace where 2-row might not. DMS is not just "cream corn" or "cabbage", some slightly noticeable amount is considered "normal" for many lagers. Even if it's just a trace of sulfur in the background that makes it seem more "crisp".
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Side note: We should create a thread to follow what we all end up brewing with the S. arlingtonesis. I'm weighing a lot of options now, and am curious what you all are planning. A black IPL sounds intriguing.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'd brew with it, if I could get some somehow. It seems to be "out of stock" on their web site. You got the last of it, it seems.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yes, he did say they were cultivating more but what we got was slightly aged though still within the 90 day window so I think most of us are brewing with it ASAP.
Swen, good idea. I hope to brew Sunday so if I do, I'll start a new thread in the Yeast section.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I have nothing constructive to add to on this recipe, but here is a name you could consider for it. Old Black Lager.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ljExHrDLY
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:Yes, he did say they were cultivating more but what we got was slightly aged though still within the 90 day window so I think most of us are brewing with it ASAP.
I want the saison yeast they also don't have in stock... Maybe it will be available in the summer when I'd want to use it.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Been tweaking this for days and will likely still do so. I've searched dozens of black lager recipes and many (more than I thought) had a handful of c80 in it. I can't believe that's for color because the dark malts will over ride it.
I'll probably just go with something very similar to what I already have and take a chance based on what my palate likes and what I hope will come close to matching it.

I'll post in a new thread as Swen suggested, under the yeast category so those of us with the same yeast can discuss it there. I've got 5, 1000 mil jars of yeast and though Jeff Mello said he thinks a 2 liter starter is enough, I'm not taking chances and will use more than my calculator suggests and Bob's your uncle!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black