New all-purpose lager/ale yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

denny
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: New all-purpose lager/ale yeast

Post by denny »

There are a lot of yeasts you can do that with already. WY1056, 1007, 2124 to name a few. My go to dry yeast for both ales and lagers is 34/70.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

denny wrote:There are a lot of yeasts you can do that with already. WY1056, 1007, 2124 to name a few. My go to dry yeast for both ales and lagers is 34/70.
SafeAle K-97 dry too, it is happy as low as 53 degrees, but is also fine in the 70s, just more "ale like". It is a lot like 1007. It makes a huge rocky head like 1007, so headspace is a good thing.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

All good information.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:Most feel tropical/fruity hops are the best for an NEIPA but you can make one with almost any hop combo. I'd go as heavy as you can with the Amarillo and Citra.
You can't go wrong in my book using Amarillo, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe in a NEIPA. I'm sure other hop combinations will produce a great NEIPA too. Once people get used to a winning combination you may want to stick with it. But hey we're homebrewers so experimenting is in our blood.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I just sampled my NEIPA with Cascade, Amarillo and Citra that used the Brulosophy Blend. I used 2 oz of each hop for total of 6 oz for a 3 gallon batch. I only used .3 oz at 60 minutes for bittering. The rest were all whirlpool for 40,30 and 20 minutes starting at 170 degrees. The remaining 3 oz were split into the typical 2 hop additions with one used during the end of active fermentation. (I have hard time using the term " biotransformation ".)

I used the universal Brulosophy blend. I am not thrilled. It doesn't have the smooth mouthfeel that the Wyeast Yeast 1318 has. I adjusted my water the same way that I have in the past by having a higher chloride to sulfate ratio.
The actual water was: Calcium- 100, Magnesium- 11 ,Sodiium-27, Sulfate-79, Chloride-152.

Grain bill:
5lbs two row
8oz flaked oats
8oz flaked wheat
7oz carapils
Mash @ 150 for 60 minutes.
og 1.063. fg 1.014 ( I think it was lower, my tilt needs to be calibrated)
ABV 7.1
Fermented at 65 degrees and ramped up to 70 near the end of fermentation.
The has the NEIPA haze ( which I actually don't care about ). It has an unsweetened grapefruit juice quality to it. Maybe Citra and Cascade are too much of a good thing in this beer. I do miss the smoother mouth feel that I think comes from 1318 in my previous NEIPA brews.

Now have to decide if I am going to reuse this yeast. It is loaded with hop debris. I might have to wash it but I really don't want to go through the washing process.

I have some WL High pressure Lager yeast. I don't have a spunding valve so that one will have to be put on hold.
I have Wyeast Irish Ale yeast. I wouldn't mind an easy to drink Irish Red for the summer months.

I used the Mash and Boil system for this brew and the mash temperature wasn't stable for the entire 60 minutes. I did hit the predicted mash temperature at the beginning of the mash so the slighy changing mash temperatures probably don't really matter that much.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Though this yeast can brew almost any ale and even some lagers, I think it's best with a pale ale or IPA or even a lager but I don't see any way it would be close at all to the 1318 or any British style yeast. I'm not sure it's something that I will use often but I plan to only use it for a pale ale or an lager fermented in the mid 50's.
For me, though I'm pleased with a pale I brewed with it, it would not be my house yeast or go to yeast. For me, 001 is my go to yeast but I think the fact that this yeast can be fermented at a good range of temps, might make it useful to some.
Just for fun, read this when you have time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I read that Brulosophy entry before I ordered the yeast. I was curious to try the Brulosophy Blend. I think it makes more sense to get the yeast that is specifically used for whatever style I am brewing. The blend is acceptable for the NEIPA but not great. I’m open to the possibility that the hop combination and recipe gave me the harsher beer than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm drinking the IPA I made with it, and I like it. This week I may compare it to the part fermented with US 05 at a homebrew meeting. I'll report their impressions.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I went to the meeting tonight. The beers were thought very similar, the BBBB slightly drier and hoppier. The carb was not identical due to my inconsistent bottling from the kegs.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Second time I'm using this yeast, both were a bit slow to start.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

OK, so life (moving the daughter to Boston, prepping for a maybe change in role at my company, working WBC, changing to a low carb eating plan and thus a drastic cutback in beer consumption, etc) got in the way and I haven't brewed with this yeast yet. Totally bummed I didn't use it fresh, but needing to do something soon with it. What are you all thinking of your brews done with it? Suggestions on style? My original plan was to do the exact same recipe I did for the other Bootleg yeast and the Southyeast Labs Belgian yeast, which both are (IMHO) great beers. But I may break out and do something else with it based on suggestions. Next weekend is likely the targeted brewdate. I have maybe 2oz of amarillo hops that have a bit of age on hand and also an extract IPA kit, maybe 1lb of carabohemian grain, and 1lb of coffee malt. Not sure I want to use any of that (maybe the hops, maybe the carabohemian), but I'm open to suggestion. Maybe I should just do a kitchen sink recipe with the above and some base grain, but maybe I should just start from scratch. Tell me what to brew and I'll make a stop at All Seasons this week...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Side note: With the grains above, I had planned do some kind of coffee porter or stout or something like that for the winter... just not sure if I want to do that with this yeast...

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've used it for another batch of Drop Kick Nate and while I still like DKN with 001, it did a really good job with it (pale ale). I have some left that I'll use in an IPA and I plan on fermenting at the same temp, 66 or so.
I can't be sure after just 1 brew but it does seem like its a bit drier to me so I may not mash below 152-153 with it unless I want something drier.
I may even try this with my favorite Black IPA recipe in the future.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I think I'm just going to use up the ingredients I have and kitchen sink this thing... add some 2-row and away I go. Something like a coffee porter. We shall see...

Porter
Method: All Grain
Style: Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.7 gallons (fermentor volume)
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.43%
IBU (rager): 34.07
SRM (daniels): 25.87

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
6 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 75%
1 lb United Kingdom - Coffee Malt 36 150 12.5%
1 lb German - CaraBohemian 33 75 12.5%
8 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 6 Boil 40 min 20.17
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 6 Boil 10 min 5.58
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 6 Boil 5 min 8.32

Yeast
Bootleg Biology Brulosophy Blend

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Let us know how it goes.
Never mind, there it is.