Yeast fallen after two days. Should I be worried?

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Chowyunfood

Yeast fallen after two days. Should I be worried?

Post by Chowyunfood »

I made my first cider (Brew Demon Tart Cherry). Pretty certain my sanitation was good. The temp has been steady at 72F. I sprinkled the yeast, dry across th top. The”foam” started in one spot and only spread over 2/3 of the surface after 24 hours. No bubbling in the airlock,ever. This morning after about forty hours,the foam is gone. Suggestions? Sage advice?
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Yeast fallen after two days. Should I be worried?

Post by Bluejaye »

You're good. You haven't written anything to suggest there is anything wrong or abnormal. Yeast is a living organism, and does what it wants, not what you expect. If there is a white layer of gunk forming at the bottom of your fermentor, all is well.
Chowyunfood

Post by Chowyunfood »

Thanks!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That foam is called krausen (at least in the beer world, maybe not for cider....?). It will vary on size, presence, thinkcness, etc. with your brew, temperature and yeast choice.
As Bluejaye said, if you have a layer of trub at the bottom of the fermemter they are doing their thing so be patient and let it ride.

Don't count on airlock activity as the sole guidance for yeast activity. There are a number of factors that can prohibit the bubblers from showing activity. And even when they do and then stop, the yeast are typically working "behind the scenes" to clean up the alcohol orgy they created.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

charlie.JPG
charlie.JPG (32.75 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Chowyunfood

Post by Chowyunfood »

Thanks Gentlemen, all looks well. Patience of the unknown isn’t my strong point!