Another Brulosophy Ex-Beeriment

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Another Brulosophy Ex-Beeriment

Post by Beer-lord »

Straight RO water vs. adjusted RO water.
I've always wondered about this myself and I guess I need wonder no more.

http://brulosophy.com/2018/04/02/water- ... -186252725
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
denny
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Another Brulosophy Ex-Beeriment

Post by denny »

I need to make the same curmudgeonly point I always make about experiments. The key to science is replication. A single experiment is a data point, not a conclusion. A positive p value only means that it's a subject that needs to be looked into further. I say all this becasue homebrewers want easy answers and there generally aren't any. Brulosophy does single experiments. That makes it easy to decipher the results, but there is no verification of relevance. What I mean is that brewing process is a huge variable, and when you only do a single experiment you don't take that onto account. OTOH, Experimental Brewing uses a pool of brewers, each of which holds their own tasting. We might have 10-15 brewers for a single experiment and 150-200 tasters. That takes the process variability into account, but it also makes it damn hard to get a clear result. So, when you see experiments from either one of us, don't believe the results! Use those results as s jumping off point for your own experimentation.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I bow to your experience and will begin to wonder once again. :cool:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I haven't seen Experimental Brewing, but I'll check it out.
The Brulosophy guys often point out that it is a single data point, or when exbeeriments seem to contradict. The thing that I take away from it is that home brewing is not as precise as modern professional brewing and it doesn't have to be. Which suits me fine. For science geeks who want 1 degree temp control and grain measured to .001 onces, go for it. I like making great beer as simply as I can.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
denny
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by denny »

John Sand wrote:I haven't seen Experimental Brewing, but I'll check it out.
The Brulosophy guys often point out that it is a single data point, or when exbeeriments seem to contradict. The thing that I take away from it is that home brewing is not as precise as modern professional brewing and it doesn't have to be. Which suits me fine. For science geeks who want 1 degree temp control and grain measured to .001 onces, go for it. I like making great beer as simply as I can.
www.experimentalbrew.com
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm not even sure what this experiment was supposed to prove. If they think that making pilsner water (which is about as "plain" as naturally occurring water can be, which is why most of us can't make it without starting from RO) and comparing it to straight RO and find that yes they can tell the difference is somehow surprising, when duh, you can tell the difference by just drinking water samples side by side without it even being beer if it's RO vs. just about anything else, then what would happen if they compared Burton water to RO? Their hair would light on fire, that's what. :evil:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

As a 100% RO user, I've often thought of trying a batch without adding any salts but even though it's only 1 test, I already knew the answer and to me, this just gives it more credence. But, it does seem at least that plain RO doesn't completely suck.
I find all beer experiments interesting but some groups do a better job than others of testing.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I think it "doesn't suck" or at least "sucks less" because there are minerals in the grains, and water pretty much hates to be pure (highly scientific description LOL) so whatever minerals are available in the grains are going to get ripped out of them during the mash when using water that is tending towards being pure.