Rose's Rambling Red

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JediJunkie247

Rose's Rambling Red

Post by JediJunkie247 »

I've got some cans of the old-school extracts I need to use up (Bewitched Red Ale, Mellow Amber, etc). For my next brew, I was going to throw together Rose's Rambling Red.

I don't have any booster, but I do have grains. I've got Caramel 10, Caramel 40, And Caramunich I, II and III.

Any recommendations of a substitution? I know whatever I use is going to be different from the Booster (which I never cared for anyway). I was just wondering what might pair up well with the BRA and MA.

Thanks for the assistance.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Rose's Rambling Red

Post by RickBeer »

I made the old BRA with a pound of light LME, 8 oz of Crystal 60 and 4 oz of Carafoam. It's quite nice (brewed 3/8, still have 9 bottles.

Based on your list, I'd use the UME and 8 oz of Caramunich III.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
JediJunkie247

Post by JediJunkie247 »

:thanks:
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

BRA, Mellow Amber, and Caramunich sound like an awesome combination. The BRA starts out malty, though, so with adding more malt, also adding hops would probably also be desirable. Based on my old notes, the combinations with mellow amber used tettnanger, glacier, and liberty, and other recipes used cascade, fuggle, and willamette.
JediJunkie247

Post by JediJunkie247 »

Foothiller wrote:BRA, Mellow Amber, and Caramunich sound like an awesome combination. The BRA starts out malty, though, so with adding more malt, also adding hops would probably also be desirable. Based on my old notes, the combinations with mellow amber used tettnanger, glacier, and liberty, and other recipes used cascade, fuggle, and willamette.
I know I've got some tettnanger, liberty, fuggle and willamette at the house. I'll play around with some ideas and see what I can concoct.
TimeTraveler
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by TimeTraveler »

I'd use the Fuggles or Willamette hops with the red ale. They are great for making Irish Reds.
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.