Brewing With Spring Water

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Brewing With Spring Water

Post by BlackDuck »

Easy question...how many of you brew with 100% store bought spring water and add nothing to it and don't worry about the water profile? If you do...how do you like the beer that comes from it?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Brewing With Spring Water

Post by Kealia »

I used to, sort of. It's actually from our local water purifier and we fill up about 6 5-gallon bottles a few times each month. That's what I brew with.

It was just about 2 years ago IIRC that I started messing with my water because.......I guess I just wanted to learn something new.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I used to till I found out how good our tap water profile is. With spring water I made pretty good beers, noticed in comps that scores went from low to mid 30's to upper 30's to low-mid 40's after I started treating the water to beer specific profiles.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

My tap water isn't all that great. It's really high in sodium. I've been using distilled water and adding back minerals, but I was thinking of trying just plain old store bought spring water and adding no minerals. Not sure what I want to do yet.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

For me, it's the lighter beers that I really noticed improvement with after I started adjusting the water. But because it's harder to hide any problems, it requires more patience in prep for me. Darker and heavier beers are where I've not really noticed any changes for the reasons I've just noted.
But, when buying water, can you really trust you're getting what they say you are? From what I've heard, they're never really checked. Especially the machine dispensers.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

BlackDuck wrote:My tap water isn't all that great. It's really high in sodium. I've been using distilled water and adding back minerals, but I was thinking of trying just plain old store bought spring water and adding no minerals. Not sure what I want to do yet.
Well to quote Forest Gump..."You never know what you're gonna get".

You can end up with water even worse for your brewing. Without knowing the mineral content it would be lot of trial and error. Spring water can still be high in areas unwanted for brewing, low in areas you do want for brewing. I just don't see it as a step in the right direction. Distilled/ RO water and building it up with your own mineral additions like you have been is probably best, then you can adjust for different styles. Maybe not every beer but different styles. I am lucky to have good tap water, its good middle of the road brewing water for my ales. Often don't need anything but acid for the mash.
Brew Strong My Friends...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

MadBrewer wrote:Distilled/ RO water and building it up with your own mineral additions like you have been is probably best
Yea...I would agree. It was really more out of curiosity than anything else.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, I did this a couple of times when my tap water was messed up due to construction. They were pale ales, and they were extract + steep/pm, not AG. They turned out fine. But again they were not AG, so who knows what would have happened if it was AG.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have used alot of store spring water, and then used mine. Can't tell the difference. Our water comes from an artesian well on our property so I guess you can call it spring water. It is heavy in minerals but I run it through a filter, then water softener then always do the mash n boil.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!