BEERMKR

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: BEERMKR

Post by FedoraDave »

Kealia wrote:FD - We all have our opinions but I'm not "getting" yours. Maybe if it we're a race to the top of the mountain (or to brew the quickest brew), but as-is I'm not sure why how anybody else brews makes them a douche.
Aren't you always saying, "if you like the end result, then you did it right?" ....or something similar?
I did say it was an "old man yells at cloud" response. In an effort to clarify my bile, let me say this:

It's not really the people who buy and use this system, just as it's not the people who buy and use Mr. Beer or BrewDemon, or Brewer's Best kits, or any of that other stuff that simplifies and formulates brewing. It's the way it's marketed to make it seem as if this system (and the others, to be frank) makes you a craft brewer. The grunt work is done by someone else. Let me ask:

There are now a number of services like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh that deliver the ingredients for a fresh dinner. They're pre-measured and pretty much everything is there. All that's required is throwing it together and heating it up. Now, don't get me wrong; it's a great service and a time-saver for some people. They can get a fresh meal that's (kind of) home cooked without having to do the shopping or even the recipe formulation. My daughter uses Blue Apron, and it's been very good for her and her husband, because it's better than making a bologna sandwich or heating up some canned soup. But there's a big difference between making chicken Alfredo from a kit and developing your own recipe through trial and error, and putting some effort into it. How would you feel if someone invited you and your family over for a meal, then served you something that came from a kit? I'd proudly serve my barbecued ribs, but I'd be embarrassed to warm up pre-cooked, vacuum-packed ribs I got in the meat case at the supermarket. Those aren't my ribs; they're someone else's.

That's my problem. "You're now a craft brewer, on a par with the pros!" Um....no. You're now someone who learned how to use a kit and a system to get around the research and the many steps that a lot of others have taken and still take. Okay, the goal is to get to the top of the mountain, but I maintain that HOW you got there matters more than merely getting there.

Yes, if you like the beer you made, you did it right. But if you like the beer someone else put together and you merely assembled, there's something froggy in there.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Thing is though that this system lets you buy a bag to brew/serve in for $2 or < in bulk, and then roll with your own ingredients and yeast that you buy yourself from wherever you want.

So you can be an actual all grain brewer with it building your own recipes. Just like you can with a LBK or LBC. Your not stuck with the cans, or packaged kits. It does make sanitation less of a problem. I would consider that nothing but a good thing for anyone. If I could not bother with sanitizing shit and maintain my brewing scale, I'd be super happy. I couldn't do that with one of these, but if I could... would be awesome.

That is what separates this system from the Zymatic Pico from my perspective. Everything you said... that is the Pico. Where you simply buy a pod like a coffee machine, and let the machine do the rest.

You aren't limited to that with this one.

The normal Zymatic (big) machine also solve the sanitation and packaging issue btw, it just does it with kegs so you can brew a bigger batch, and is more expensive (way more expensive) due to this.

Would you say someone using a big Zymatic, rolling their own recipes, isn't a brewer like us? I wouldn't. Maybe a brewer with more cash then me, but that's my problem, not theirs. People use those things for pilot brewing for large commercial systems. Are they not craft brewers?

Both this and the big Zymatics brew in a "weird" way, but hell, so do I compared to what was the "right" way when I started brewing.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I wouldn't have a problem with finding out that food I ate at a party was from a kit. At a lot of parties, it's not even from a kit, it's just catered. If they're passing it off as their own recipe, that's a different story.

I think this is an interesting idea, but if I ever got one, I'd get the bulk bags and do it that way.

But as mashani pointed out in an earlier post, I could use my M&B to do most of what this does and ferment in one of the LBKs that I still have sitting around. I'm thinking of doing just that this weekend. Maybe I'll do two batches and blend them in a keg.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

mashani wrote:Thing is though that this system lets you buy a bag to brew/serve in for $2 or < in bulk, and then roll with your own ingredients and yeast that you buy yourself from wherever you want.

So you can be an actual all grain brewer with it building your own recipes.

Would you say someone using a big Zymatic, rolling their own recipes, isn't a brewer like us? I wouldn't.
No, I wouldn't, either. I don't have a problem with any system in and of itself. That's like saying using PET bottles is better or worse than using glass bottles. It's just that person's preferred equipment.

I would say that someone sticking with brewing only what is sent in pre-packaged kits is a different type of brewer than those of us who research styles, construct our own original recipes, and brew them. To go back to my cooking analogy, opening a can of condensed soup and warming it up for dinner gives you a hot meal. Nobody is disputing that. But creating your own soup stock, getting fresh vegetables, taking the time and putting the effort into chopping them up and putting it all together to make homemade soup is quite a few steps above. At their most simple, they're both hot meals that you made in your kitchen (as opposed to going to a restaurant or having it delivered). But don't tell me they're on a par with each other as far as the skill levels involved.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I said in my earlier posts that I find it hard to believe it can make good beer in 7 days. But maybe it can, and if it does, then great.

I can tell you this...if I went to a party, and the host was serving beer made from one of these, I sure as hell am gonna drink it. And if it's good beer, I'm gonna drink more than one and then I'm gonna high five him for making a good beer at home. I'm not gonna argue with him that it doesn't count as home brewed craft beer because it came in a prepackaged kit. Does it really matter exactly how someone makes beer at home?? It doesn't to me.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I signed my son up for this kick starter. It looks really interesting to me. The fact that you can mash, boil, chill,ferment, carbonate and serve all in one appliance sets it apart from all of the other systems.
There is no sanitation or cleanup! The Zymatic promised easy all in one brewing but it doesn’t really deliver on totally easy cleanup and brewing. I actually find the Mash and Boil system really easy to use and clean.
The fact that the Beermaker brews one gallon is a positive for me. I can’t even get through 2.5 gallons of beer.

I’ll be comparing notes with my son when he finally takes deliver of his Beer Maker. I’m signed up for the new Z from Pico but if he loves his BeerMaker I might just sell my Zymatic and Mash And Boil and get one for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I used to brew fairly often but my lack of space has made brewing kind of a PITA.

All of my equip / supplies are stored on a few shelves in the basement. I have to drag everything into the kitchen, set up, brew, clean up, then put it all away until the next time. I miss my old house's set up with a dedicated room with everything I needed to brew, clean up and ferment in one space. Since we moved, over the past 2 years I have brewed 3 - 4 times.

It seemed like such a waste so I sold off just about everything this past summer. I kinda stashed that cash away ..... until today.

I decided to back the Beermkr project - on it's final day. The small footprint this system has really works for me. I started simple with a MB kit, then moved up to five gallon batches, steeping grains and kegging. Now here I am with a small one gallon contraption.

My neighbor calls this Millennial Brewing.

I'll have to wait until the spring of 2019 to get back in the brewing game. During the next 5 - 6 months I'll be lurking here brewing vicariously through the rest of you!
Thirsting For Knowledge
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Good for you! I look forward to your detailed reviews when you get to brew with it.
There's something for everyone in beer brewing. That piece is not for me now but as I age, it might be something that I'll need to do to get my fix. Of course with my wealth and fame, I'll have servants that could do it all for me. :)
Seriously, congrats on taking a new journey.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I look forward to hearing about it also.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

brewnewb wrote: My neighbor calls this Millennial Brewing.
Nope. If it were truly Millenial Brewing it would need to be drinkable in about an hour. It's all about instant gratification!

Ok, back to the conversation...
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

BlackDuck wrote:I look forward to hearing about it also.
Just a follow up on BEERMKR. The latest update was on 4/10/19. Usual production / testing adjustments have created some delays in the product roll out. What was originally scheduled for a spring delivery is looking like a July delivery.

I've negotiated a "spot" on the pantry shelf for this contraption. Looking forward to using it this summer.
Thirsting For Knowledge
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

brewnewb wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:I look forward to hearing about it also.
Just a follow up on BEERMKR. The latest update was on 4/10/19. Usual production / testing adjustments have created some delays in the product roll out. What was originally scheduled for a spring delivery is looking like a July delivery.

I've negotiated a "spot" on the pantry shelf for this contraption. Looking forward to using it this summer.
FWIW, I can tell you the mechanism it uses to make beer (heating to 150 with a step mash, no actual boil) makes beer just fine, I've done it I think 4 or 5 times now (lost track) in my Mash & Boil and it's make good beer every time. Since they will be using steam hops it will be easier for them to do more if not any style this way where I have limitations when using normal hops.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

After re-reading this thread a few times and not really familiar on the BEERMKR system, I will say you can make beer in 7 days. With Good yeast pitch, & good temp control. I still go 2 weeks, but know it is done way sooner. Yes it depends on what you are making and a little more time in the fermenter might make it better. just my thought on this.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:After re-reading this thread a few times and not really familiar on the BEERMKR system, I will say you can make beer in 7 days. With Good yeast pitch, & good temp control. I still go 2 weeks, but know it is done way sooner. Yes it depends on what you are making and a little more time in the fermenter might make it better. just my thought on this.
I know that I make lots of beers that at 7-10 days in the fermenter would be perfect to drink if I could just force carb them. All of them with a hefty yeast pitch (Brewers Friend Pro levels, with the level based on my OG). For me I'd say 10 is probably safer, but that's because I'm an acetaldehyde super taster.

I tend to just let them sit for 2 weeks, but it's more of a timing thing then a necessity.

But at Mr. Beer / Brew Demon pitch rates, which are like only 25% of the cells (or even less) then what I'm pitching... then not so much, I know at least for me those would be acetaldehyde bombs.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Didn't Mr Beer, which most of us started with, promise drinkable beer within 14 days?

Most of us found out differently, but since going all grain, I can have drinkable beer, with
forced carbonation, within 10 days...