Mecca Grade malts

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Mecca Grade malts

Post by Beer-lord »

I've read and heard lots and lots and lots about this malt company that doesn't sell anywhere but their website in Oregon. A 50 lb sack of Pale 2 row is $62.50 which for me, is expensive. Shipping would normally cost me another $63 via UPS but I was able to 'get a deal' on shipping thru someone online that I promised I would not mention for $25. Still, $88 for a 50 lb sack is not really a deal. That might be more than me buying it retail locally but I've wanted to try it so I bit the bullet and ordered some. It will all be used.
First, I'll try it by itself without any other 2 row and just some Munich or Vienna and stuff but since it's so expensive, I'll end up using the rest mixed 50/50 with my Rahr 2 row.

Anyone ever have the chance to try this?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Mecca Grade malts

Post by The_Professor »

I took a look at the Mecca Grande site and I see they sell raw grains too (barley, wheat, rye).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yep, about half the price. Word is they were looking for someone to rep them in parts of the West Coast but they aren't sure they can supply nearly enough. I'm sure they have contracts with the craft breweries in the area and I know at least 3 homebrew stores sell some but I'm told they sell every bag they get quickly. I think the furthest south they go is Northern California but I'm not sure. Its family run and they likely only have a small amount of land to grow their malts.

EDIT: it appears Northern Brewer has some. Hmmm, so the talk I heard about trying to sell nationally WAS true but it now looks like I did get a deal. $2.89 per lb. And I'm paying about $1.75.
Heck, even if I paid full price for the shipping, it would still be cheaper to buy direct and have it shipped from Oregon to me. But not by much.

This American Pale malt is the new standard for brewing pale ales and British specialty beers.

Lamonta (pronounced - \luh·mon·tuh\) is a remarkable and complex North American craft malt that is golden, sweet, and slightly biscuity. This base malt comes from the small terrior in Central Oregon where the Mecca Grade Estate family farm and malthouse is located. Mecca grows their unique Heirloom variety of barley inside a 2 mile radius around their own malthouse. Inside their malthouse, their processing innovation of Mechanically Floor Malting producing a consistency and depth of flavor that creates a premium, artisan line of malts. 2.8°L
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I would use it by itself (no Munich or Vienna) to start. I would want to see what it’s like. A nice balanced pale ale would be perfect. I think Munich or Vienna might cover it up too much.

Sounds like a tasty malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:EDIT: it appears Northern Brewer has some. Hmmm, so the talk I heard about trying to sell nationally WAS true but it now looks like I did get a deal. $2.89 per lb. And I'm paying about $1.75.
Northern has really jacked up the prices of everything since they went to $30 = free shipping. I would assume if someone else gets that in stock (like say... MoreBeer) then it would be a lot cheaper.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

About 6 months ago Brulosophy had a Patreon Facebook Q&A with Mecca Grade and I never asked any questions but many others did asking about who will sell their stuff. At that time, they said they couldn't discuss it but were trying to work something out. It sounded like they couldn't promise regular shipments because their stock is not as large and they have contracts with West Coast breweries that come first.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

BlackDuck wrote:I would use it by itself (no Munich or Vienna) to start. I would want to see what it’s like. A nice balanced pale ale would be perfect. I think Munich or Vienna might cover it up too much.

Sounds like a tasty malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this emotion.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I tried my SMaSH made with Lamonta malt and BRU1 hops and it's definitely different. I've said before that I don't like SMaSH beers at all as they have no complexity and this is an example. It's brewed perfectly fine and tastes very good but it's very simple. I do notice the malt character as slightly biscuity and semi sweet but the BRU1 hops don't really come out in it as fruity or anything special. It's early and it will improve but for now, it tastes more like a heavier summer, grass cutting beer than the pale ale I thought it would be.
However, it does show me the malt character so now I have an idea how to use it going forward, blending it with my normal 2 row and using it 100% with other malts so I am very glad I spent the money.
The hop character may be me using a hop screen but I do get some bitterness at the end so I'm not very sure about it. It doesn't taste or feel like 55 IBU's to me. But I will call this a success since it's extremely drinkable even at 6.3%.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Beer-lord wrote:......I've said before that I don't like SMaSH beers at all as they have no complexity and this is an example......
That's interesting. My go to pilsner recipe is 100% pilsner malt (except for CAP) and one hop and I really like it. I also like malty beers with nothing but a bittering addition. In those cases I am not setting out to make a SMaSH beer, but they are.
Of course you are right about "no complexity" on one level, but consider someone saying they don't like a steak with just salt and pepper because there is no complexity-it needs all sorts of herbs and sauces.
To be clear, I am not saying you shouldn't like what you like as it would no doubt draw the same response as you telling me I don't like what I like. :)
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:......I've said before that I don't like SMaSH beers at all as they have no complexity and this is an example......
That's interesting. My go to pilsner recipe is 100% pilsner malt (except for CAP) and one hop and I really like it. I also like malty beers with nothing but a bittering addition. In those cases I am not setting out to make a SMaSH beer, but they are.
Of course you are right about "no complexity" on one level, but consider someone saying they don't like a steak with just salt and pepper because there is no complexity-it needs all sorts of herbs and sauces.
To be clear, I am not saying you shouldn't like what you like as it would no doubt draw the same response as you telling me I don't like what I like. :)
I agree. Everybody has different tastes. I get tired of reading "articles" that complain that there are "too many"/"not enough" IPAs/Saisons/Sours/Lagers/etc.

As an aside, when you said "100% pilsner malt (except for the CAP)", what is the CAP?
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:.......As an aside, when you said "100% pilsner malt (except for the CAP)", what is the CAP?
Classic American Pilsner. For that I do six row, flaked corn, and cluster.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:
bpgreen wrote:.......As an aside, when you said "100% pilsner malt (except for the CAP)", what is the CAP?
Classic American Pilsner. For that I do six row, flaked corn, and cluster.
Cluster hops? I take it you've never owned cats. Whenever I see black currant in the description, I find a different hop.