One Wort, Two Yeasts, Different Temps

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: One Wort, Two Yeasts, Different Temps

Post by John Sand »

I just found this old thread again.
I am doing another batch. This time I split six gallons between Bootleg Arlingtonesis (lager yeast) at 56, and Bootleg Oslo at 85. The wort is German Pils, Mittelfruh and Saaz.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

John Sand wrote:I just found this old thread again.
I am doing another batch. This time I split six gallons between Bootleg Arlingtonesis (lager yeast) at 56, and Bootleg Oslo at 85. The wort is German Pils, Mittelfruh and Saaz.
That will be interesting, I want to hear the results of it!

I did a bunch of splits this year with a regular ale yeast and T-58. Funny thing is I actually liked the T-58 versions better, except for maybe 1 batch. I was fermenting at moderate ale like temps (65-68 degrees), so I didn't get a banana / bubblegum bomb from the T-58, mostly just spicy / peppery undertones that were nice with every fruity hop I used. (like adding black pepper on fruit salad, which is a thing, and a thing I like). The extra complexity was nice, the regular ale yeast versions seemed "flatter".

But some people hate all phenols or get headaches from them, so YMMV, that was just me.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks, that's interesting. The Arlington is new to me, I've made a pretty successful "pilsner" with the Oslo already. I used it this time because my pipeline is low and it is fast. The Arlington because I'm still working on my lager.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.