One Wort, Two Yeasts, Different Temps

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

One Wort, Two Yeasts, Different Temps

Post by John Sand »

My next planned brew will be ten gallons of Pilsner, divided between two yeasts, likely 34/70 and Mangrove M54. While some ferment 34/70 warm with success, I want to use it cool, M54 ferments well at ale temps. I have one ferm fridge, one heat belt, one Cool Brewing Bag, two controllers and a little house. Right now the basement is in the low 60s, the spare rooms are in the low 50s. (This is not an SAT question) In the past I've used one controller and heat belt in the fridge for one batch, as well as natural temp control. This time I'm thinking of using one controller on each batch, the heat belt for M54 in the bag, and the 34/70 in the fridge. Alternately I could use nature for either or both, but a warm or cold spell could change ambient all through the house. Confused yet? What would you do?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: One Wort, Two Yeasts, Different Temps

Post by mashani »

I don't know about your house but it would take a 3+ day warm or cold spell to change my ambient temperatures enough to matter enough for me to care. And I have use 34/70 warm (60s) and made good lagery biers.

So, ?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

My house is a former summer cottage, upstairs has minimal insulation. Now that no one sleeps there, we keep the heat low. But if the temp rises much above 50 outside, inside will follow. I made a 34/70 lager last winter with the temp at 57, it wasn't quite right. This time I plan to keep it cooler in the chest freezer, while doing the M54 about 66.
Never mind, there it is.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

John Sand wrote:......I made a 34/70 lager last winter with the temp at 57, it wasn't quite right.......
I used 34/70 at 60 for what I was calling a "steam beer". It turned out good and everyone that tried it liked it. It had slight butterscotch.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I kegged these today. What I did was put the M54 batch in the ferm fridge with both heat and cool, and the 34/70 went on the floor for natural control. Mostly because the M54 was the 5 gallon part. If the other part didn't work out, it was only half a batch. Going into the keg, the M54 was cloudy, the 34/70 crystal clear. The M54 tasted better and hoppier, the 34/70 had some green apple, which was a problem with this yeast last year too. I'll give it time.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I love doing this and it's amazing how yeast can make the same beer takes like different beers. I hope to do this again a few times this year. Glad you got to experiment.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

It's one of my favorite experiments.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I just brewed 6 gallons of a "Red Vienna Lager" where I'm going to split it into a couple of 3 gallon fermenters and pitch Mangrove Jacks M84 (Bohemian Lager) into one and M76 (Bavarian Lager) yeast into the other. But I will ferment both at the same temp, around 56-57.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Let me know how it works out, I'm trying to make a good lager. I'm optimistic about the M54 and a bit disappointed in the 34/70. This is the third time I've used 34/70, and each has been a touch fruity, or more. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if the M54 works well, I'll just use that in the future.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm watching this one too. I usually always do a Pilsner of some sort for the summer, whether it's a Czech or German. I usually use 34/70 also, but control the temp for 55 degrees, pretty close to your temp. I've not really noticed any fruity/apple flavors in mine.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The M54 took a while to clear and improve. At a homebrew meeting ten days ago it was deemed good and without flaws. I think it is crisper since then. The 34/70 remains in a cool basement on gas.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The 34/70 version finally made it to a tap, I think I like it better. There is no more green apple, just clean malt and hops. I now think I prefer this version. The M54 was clean, but lacked character, rather like a BMC.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Its so amazing to me just how much 1 variable, especially yeast, can make so much of a difference in a beer. I bet if you made the same beer and separated it between US05, 001, 1056 and Imperial A07, you'd see a bigger difference than you'd think but going to different yeast types is a "whole nuther level".
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good to hear there is no green apple in this one. I'm drinking my Pils now too, and it's really good. I adjusted this recipe and I finally think I've got it down, and won't change it anymore. My brother was in town for my 3 year old's birthday party this past weekend and he agreed. I use 34/70 in mine and think it works really well!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm planning another batch soon.
Never mind, there it is.