Malt question

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

dabogdan

Malt question

Post by dabogdan »

When you guys buy malt, do you buy milled or non milled. I'm sure this is a newbee question but I'm sure there's a difference. :)

Thanks in advance!!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Malt question

Post by The_Professor »

Unmilled grain is whole grain that needs to be milled/crushed before brewing. Whole grain keeps longer then milled grain. Only buy this if you have a way to mill/crush it.
Buy unmilled grain if you plan to brew with it soon or don't have a way to mill/crush it.

I wrote mill/crush because for brewing you don't want to make flour from the grain. You want to crack it open for mashing.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

And if you're not going to use it right away (milled grain), make sure it's stored in an airtight bag/container.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
dabogdan

Post by dabogdan »

Thanks everyone. I've been reading articles about buying and making malt. Making it seems like quite the process. I'm guessing it would taste the best since you're making it fresh. However, quite the process. I'll resign to buying it (milled)for now. Lol.

Happy Saturday !
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

dabogdan wrote:Thanks everyone. I've been reading articles about buying and making malt. Making it seems like quite the process. I'm guessing it would taste the best since you're making it fresh. However, quite the process. I'll resign to buying it (milled)for now. Lol.

Happy Saturday !
if you explain just a little more on what you are thinking and I think I know what you are saying, can clear a lot up and point you in a good direction.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

dabogdan wrote:Thanks everyone. I've been reading articles about buying and making malt. Making it seems like quite the process. I'm guessing it would taste the best since you're making it fresh. However, quite the process. I'll resign to buying it (milled)for now. Lol.

Happy Saturday !
I've only tried malting my own grain once and it didn't go well. But I think I read talking at the time. I know others here have successfully malted their own grains.

Most home brewers buy malted grains (like 2 row).

The grain needs to be milled before mashing, so if you don't have a mill, you need to buy it milled. As noted by others, once it's milled, you need to use it fairly quickly.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

dabogdan wrote:.......I've been reading articles about buying and making malt. Making it seems like quite the process. I'm guessing it would taste the best since you're making it fresh.......
bpgreen wrote:.......Most home brewers buy malted grains (like 2 row)......
What bp said.
One of the main reasons to pursue home malting would be that some type of malt isn't readily available to you. A second would just be interest in the process.
Not sure I would suggest my homemade malt is better than commercial but I do get similar results.
How to make malt:
Hydrate the grain for a day or two.
Spread the grain out to sprout.
Dry the grain so it will keep. (Heat to desired color/roast now also)
Yeah, there's gotchas and processes.

Here are home malted grains for a porter:

And the beer (a while ago):